Purpose of Position
The purpose of this job is to supervise and participate in traffic engineering functions for the City of Atlanta. Duties include, but are not limited to: supervising staff; directing activities; reviewing and monitoring projects; coordinating with GDOT and consultants.
Examples Of Essential Duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs and evaluates assigned staff, handling employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining and completing employee performance appraisals.
- Directs activities in regard to the operation and completion of projects and tasks.
- Reviews and monitors traffic calming l projects.
- Coordinates with GDOT and consultants; creates drawings for projects. • Directs construction management and generates reports of work and/or project progress.
- Reviews contractor performance and monitors monthly billing statements. • Conducts traffic studies including but not limited traffic calming, signal and multi-way stop studies, pedestrian and bicycle safety. • Coordinates construction and maintenance of roads and transport systems that move people and goods. • Recommends and implements pedestrian, bicycle and vehicular safety improvements.
- Coordinates the purchase of equipment and reviews and updates specifications for materials. • Reviews and recommends awards on bid proposals. • Evaluates plans and proposals drafted by other engineers and make changes if necessary .
Marginal Job Functions
- Responds to questions, complaints and requests for information by telephone, in person or by mail from customers, employees, department heads..etc.
- Coordinates traffic engineering activities with state and federal agencies.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and written, with all department personnel, City officials and outside professionals.
- Answers telephone utilizing accepted format; provides information, advice and guidance; takes and relays messages and/or directs calls to appropriate personnel. • Meets with representatives of private industry, local organizations and citizens to discuss any proposed project Record Keeping and Documentation :
- Maintains and updates files and correspondence. • Maintains records and logs. • Maintains records and prepares reports and correspondence related to the area of responsibility
- Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field required.
Five years of traffic engineering experience which includes three years of supervisory or administrative experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Must possess a valid Georgia driver's license.
Knowledge of Job
Has considerable knowledge of modern traffic engineering principles, practices and traffic survey methods; Has considerable knowledge of the design, operation, uses traffic control devices. Has considerable knowledge of current developments and literature in the field of traffic engineering or considerable knowledge in the use of computer systems, particularly involving program analysis. Ability to perform technical investigation and research work and to give reliable advice on difficult traffic engineering problems. Ability to plan, assign, and supervise the work of professional and sub-professional associates. The City of Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
City of Atlanta, GA - 5 months ago