The purpose of this position is to assist and be trained in activities related to the installation and repair of electronic traffic control devices. This is accomplished by assisting in the maintenance of City signs and signals. Other duties may include assisting in the maintenance of traffic control equipment, school zone flashers and residential roadway lighting, assisting in performing traffic studies, providing City signage services, maintaining safe work environments, providing administrative support and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Assists in the maintenance of traffic control equipment by replacing signal lamps, replacing and repairing wiring, cleaning, repairing and replacing signal heads, performing preventative maintenance on signal hardware, and assisting in the installation of new traffic signals to include assisting in the installation of underground cables.
- Assists in the maintenance of school zone flashers by ensuring correct operation, assisting in the installation and operation of school zone flashers, and conducting regular inspection of school zone flashers.
- Assists in the performing traffic studies by providing hand held traffic counts for phase time studies and placing and securing movable counting units at different locations.
- Assists in the maintenance of residential roadway lighting by troubleshooting and repairing routine lighting systems.
- Maintains safe working environments for City workers by setting out warning signs, safety cones and barricades, accounting for flow and density of traffic and by routing traffic with arrow boards.
- Provides administrative support by processing work orders, maintaining work logs and on-call status, coordinating the message board and radar trailer placement and by providing preventative maintenance on aerial lift trucks and other City vehicles.
- Assists in providing signage services by fabricating, installing and creating street name signs.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires the ability to read and understand written instructions, to understand simple processes and the routine operation of machines. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Six months maintenance and/or construction experience to include but not limited to the basic maintenance and repair of electrical or electro-mechanical equipment.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Drivers License, A bility to obtain Level I IMSA Traffic Signal Technician Certification within twelve (12) months from date of hire, Ability to be on-call after hours and/or weekends.
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives immediate direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving detailed instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with little room for deviation. Close and constant review is given.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Normal tasks require use of definite procedures, with little deviation. Work requires little or no analysis or judgment.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 9 months ago