The Traffic Signal Specialist maintains, repairs, inspects and installs traffic signals to include associated traffic control devices, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), video detection/observation systems, and fiber-optic Ethernet networks. Provides 24 hour emergency response and repair of traffic signals, city owned streetlights, school beacons and after hours locate services.
- Bench tests, troubleshoot, and repairs traffic signal equipment to component level.
- Ensures proper installation, repair and testing of traffic signal devices performed by both city employees and private contractors meet applicable codes, including fiber optic interconnects.
- Work with other city departments, division, and outside agencies to improve coordination and timing of the systems; provide location information regarding buried electrical and fiber-optic lines, provide technical assistance to other departments and divisions as required.
- Removes poles, cabinets, and associated traffic control equipment damaged by accidents or weather; evaluate damage to traffic control devices caused by accidents or weather; conducts emergency repair of traffic signals due to accidents, malfunctions, and weather.
- Modify and/or update existing traffic control devices and equipment to improve traffic flow.
- Observes traffic signals for proper illumination and correct operation; trouble shoot signal malfunctions, isolate defective equipment and repair by replacement; troubleshoot field wiring; initiate repairs to restore operations.
- Supervises and trains junior personnel.
- Provides 24 hour emergency response.
Experience & Education:
Experience : One - three years of electronics experience in traffic signal operation required, experience in Advanced Traffic Management Systems preferred.
Education : Equivalent to an Associate’s degree with major course work in electronic technology or a related field required.
License/Certification : Possession of a Level II Traffic Technician certificate required or acquisition of Level II Traffic Technician certificate within first 12 months of employment.
Hours : 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Monday - Friday
Must have a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brakes endorsement and a favorable driving record.
Background check, pre-employment physical and drug screen required.
City of Olathe, KS - 20 months ago