The purpose of this position is to ensure the proper installation and maintenance of the City's traffic control devices. This is accomplished by performing traffic signal and roadway lighting maintenance and repair; installing and maintaining fiber optic equipment; performing signal installations and programming; and ensuring proper traffic signal operation. Other duties include maintaining knowledge of current advances within the field; training employees; and interacting with other City employees and citizens.
Skills / Requirements
- Performs traffic signal and roadway lighting maintenance and repair by completing scheduled maintenance and repair; and completing emergency repairs as needed.
- Installs and maintains fiber optic equipment by installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing fiber optic equipment, video equipment, and systems utilizing sophisticated electronic test equipment.
- Performs signal installations and programming by installing traffic signals, school flashers, and flood warning devices; replacing major components; and programming controllers.
- Ensures proper traffic signal operation by manually controlling signals for special functions like: unusual circumstances such as vehicle damage and emergency traffic control during natural disasters.
- Updates technical knowledge of current advances within the field by receiving training on all aspects of work areas including: fiber optics, new products, and how to troubleshoot and perform repairs correctly.
- Trains employees by ensuring that all new Level I employees can properly maintain and repair small problems in cabinets and change bulbs in field signals.
Additional Information: This position is open until filled
- Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature which may be obtained with six months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. Junior college, vocational, business, technical or correspondence schools are likely sources. Appropriate certification may be awarded upon satisfactory completion of advanced study or training.
- Over four years up to and including six years of installation and maintenance of traffic control devices.
- Valid Class A Driver's License required
- International Municipal Signal Association Workzone, International Municipal Signal Association Traffic Signal Technician I, and International Municipal Signal Association Roadway Lighting I are desirable but not required
- Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
- The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
- Work requires the occasional direction of helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees.
- Work requires analysis and judgement in accomplisinhg diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
- Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
Please click on the link below to apply for this or any other position. A new window will open and direct you to our log in page. After creating an account make sure to re-locate the position you wish to apply for and submit a resume. You can also sign up to receive periodic job updates. We look forward to hearing from you!
City of Grand Prairie - 10 months ago