This position is responsible for the development, coordination, and implementation of effective employee training, education, and career development programs. Determines departmental training needs and conduct supervisory, management, non-technical skill, and compliance training for assigned personnel. Consults within department to determine training and educational needs for assigned area. Prepares training methods, media, and documentation to be presented in training programs. Assists in the development of training polices and procedures, training curriculums, and instructional methods to enhance staff competency. Responsible for monitoring required training compliance and prescribed training budgets, as required.
This is a job classification within the Human Resources job family. Intermediate level training and development position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, coordinates, and conducts effective employee training, education, and career development programs. Consults with department to determine departmental training needs. Receives and records requests for training.
- Provides assistance to lower level staff in training methods and techniques, and various problem solving training issues.
- Serves as a trainer. Develops, arranges, and conducts or assists in conducting employee training opportunities for professional enhancement, management, technical development, specialized, job skill certifications, on-the-job, job specific, in-service, and continuing education and training programs. Coordinates with outside agencies for appropriate training programs designed to maximize staff effectiveness. Arranges for training consultants, trainers, and instructors by providing them with various scheduling and logistical support, as required. Assists in the evaluation and selection of training consultants.
- Develops and prepares training curriculums and course outlines; selects or develops instructional methods, training aids, and other materials. Develops annual training calendar. Schedules and coordinates the attendance of employees at announced training programs. Disseminates information concerning available training workshops/seminars. Ensures facility, materials and training supplies are prepared and ready for use by time needed; maintains audio, audio visual, and other supplies and equipment used for training purposes.
- Maintains thorough and accurate training records. Maintains in-service training and continuing education records in order to meet standards. Monitors compliance and prepares statistical reports for state standards for purpose of funding; prepares specialized reports, as required. Participates in the training budget preparation/requests and assists in tracking expenditures during the year.
- Evaluates effectiveness of training programs as reflected by the learning objectives. Evaluates the effectiveness of delivery.
- Serves on various in-house working committees. Acts as a contact between department and other agencies. Makes presentations to organizations and groups, as required.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Education, Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Organizational Development or a directly related field AND three (3) years responsible experience in the planning, coordination and conducting of in-house or professional training, education, and employee development programs, educational workshops and personnel seminars;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Objectives and practices used in the development of professional training programs.
- Federal, State, and Local laws, statutes, and regulations relating to the field.
- Training methods, techniques, procedures and applications.
- Principles and practices of employee training, group process, group dynamics and interpersonal relations.
- Curriculum development and planning.
- Wide variety of training programs.
- Various standards for continuing education and training programs.
- Principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Organizational regulations and procedures.
- Various public service agencies and other community resources.
- Basic record keeping to ensure compliance with mandated training requirements.
- Training manual, books, references, resources and providers.
- Departmental policies and procedures.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
- Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation.
- Prioritizing work assignments.
- Instructing others.
- Using and maintaining various audio-visual training aides.
- Working with and training large groups of people with diverse backgrounds in organization.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Present an appropriate curriculum.
- Conduct training assessments, formulate learning objectives, create and evaluate training objectives, requirements and effectiveness of delivery.
- Conduct research, analyze and develop programs.
- Coordinate and organize training activities.
- Train and supervise personnel.
- Plan and budget for various training programs.
- Control numerous projects simultaneously and works well under pressure.
- Exercise discretion and diplomacy in difficult and sensitive situations.
- Plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinates.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, and the general public, including the training community.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Location: 2515 S. Congress Ave. Austin
Department: Juvenile Probation
Drug Test Required
Physical Exam Required
Criminal, Driving, Education & Employment Background Check Required