JOB TITLE: TRANSLATOR (ARABIC)
DEPARTMENT: SAN ANTONIO NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH CENTER
CLASSIFICATION: ON-CALL (HOURS PER WEEK VARY DEPENDING ON CLINIC NEEDS)
REPORTS TO: CLINIC SUPERVISOR & SITE MANAGER
STATUS: NON-EXEMPT (NON-UNION POSITION)
SALARY: $17.5250 PER HOUR W/ NO FRINGE BENEFITS
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED POSITION AVAILABLE: NOW
ABOUT THE POSITION: Under general direction of the Clinic Supervisor, the individual in this position is responsible for providing translation services and general assistance to the San Antonio staff in providing medical services to Arabic speaking patients at the San Antonio Medical Clinic.
1. Requires completion of high school/equivalent, supplemented by at least 6 months experience providing translation services to an Arabic speaking population.
2. E xtensive vocabulary and knowledge of medical and nutrition terminology in the Arabic language, including principal idioms and slang. Experience in health care is useful, but not required.
3. Knowledge of East African and Middle Eastern customs, culture and religious attitudes that influence the health care and nutrition practices of these cultural groups.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients, families and clinic staff.
5. Must enjoy working with people, maintaining a pleasant and personable manner with patients and staff.
6. Other Middle Easter and North East African language(s) are also very helpful, but not required.
7. Bilingual in English/Arabic required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides medical translation services for patients and providers.
2. Helps review and assess health education materials for cultural and linguistic appropriateness for the Arabic-speaking population.
3. May translate written documents from English to Arabic for clinic use.
4. Assists in making appointments and reminder calls for Arabic speaking patients.
5. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
La Clínica de La Raza, Inc. - 18 months ago