FAIRFIELD MEDICAL CENTER
Job Title: Patient Transport Attendant
Department: Central Transport Services
Responsible to: Team Leader / Assist. Manager/ Manager
I. JOB SUMMARY
· Responsible for transporting inpatients to and from the Ancillary care departments.
· All the duties and standards within this job description will be performed according to the established policies, procedures and guidelines outlined in the department and Center policy and procedures manuals.
II. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provides supportive services under the direction of the professional staff so that patient care needs/requirements are met, are timely, and are appropriate.
· Obtains verification of patient identification prior to patient transport and retains chart with the patient at all times.
· Transports patient to and from various areas following prescribed procedures and FMC policies. Utilizes appropriate method of transportation service to patient by wheelchairs, carts, beds and/or other transportation equipment in a safe, reliable and efficient manner.
· Implements clinical and technical aspects of support services in accordance with established policies and procedures in a timely and efficient manner.
· Practices positive responses to job demands, changes, through organizational and time management to enhance positive outcomes in patient care and the Center's mission.
· Enhances positive relations with all customers, including patients, families and Center staff in other departments.
· Enhances the practice of family centered care and provides individual customer focus and practices service recovery.
· As a representative of the Center, demonstrates responsibility and accountability for enhancing positive interactions and for diffusing negative interactions.
· Responsible for maintaining the overall transporting needs of the Medical Center.
· Responsible for cleaning/maintaining transport monitors and wheelchairs.
III. OTHER POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in and fosters an approach to continuously improving quality through Six Sigma methodology that includes both intradepartmental and interdepartmental activities.
2. Maintains a neat and safe work area.
1. The successful candidate will have to pass competencies for this position.
4. The successful candidate will have to pass competencies for this position, including CPR and Arrhythmia recognition.
5. Performs other related duties as assigned.
IV. POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
High school diploma or equivalent; business college or course work preferred. FMCU participation or graduates preferred. Basic knowledge of Microsoft products, ( Outlook, Word, Active Staffer, etc.).
· Annual CPR certification.
· Certified Nursing Assistant Training preferred.
· Must successfully pass a basic arrhythmia class.
· Training in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
Job Related Skills:
Has knowledge of the clinical interventions and equipment necessary to meet the specific needs of the patient population served. (Check those that apply)
I=Infant (birth to 1) A=Adult (18 to 65) v
P=Pediatric (1 to 12) v G=Geriatric (over 65) v
AD=Adolescent (12 to 18) v
Excellent communication and human relation skills when dealing with co-workers, other Center employees, the medical staff, patients, families, and the general public.
V. POTENTIAL EXPOSURE(S)
Electrical Equipment Ö Blood Contact
Mechanical Equipment Ö Burns
Radiation Equipment Ö Chemicals
Exposure to Infectious Disease
Other (Please Specify)
Uses Universal Precautions when tasks being performed present the possibility of exposure to blood or body fluids; this includes using appropriate personal protective equipment and work practices.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDS
The Physical Demands Strength Rating reflects the estimated overall strength requirement of the job. It represents the strength requirements, which are considered to be important for average, successful work performance. The strength rating is expressed by one of five terms:
S Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
L Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly (Constantly: activity or condition exists 2/3 or more of the time) to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Sedentary Work. Even though the weight lifted may be only a negligible amount, a job should be rated Light Work (1) when it requires walking or standing to a significant degree; or (2) when it requires sitting most of the time, but entails pushing and/or pulling of arm or leg controls; and/or (3) when the job requires working at a production rate pace entailing the constant pushing and/or pulling of materials even though the weight of those materials is negligible. NOTE: The constant stress and strain of maintaining a production rate pace, especially in an industrial setting, can be and is physically demanding of a worker even though the amount of force exerted is negligible.
M Medium Work: Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
H Heavy Work: Exerting 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Medium Work.
V Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Heavy Work.
The following checked items are the physical and mental job requirements that are essential
for this position:
Standing Ö Alertness
Walking Ö Precision
Sitting Ö Ingenuity
Lifting Ö Problem Solving
Carrying Ö Analytic Ability
Pushing Ö Memory
Pulling Ö Creativity
Climbing Ö Concentration
Poles Ö Talking
In-Out/Vehicles, Equipment, Machinery Ö Persuasiveness
Stooping Ö Speaking Ability
Kneeling Ö Handling People
Crouching Ö Judgment
Reaching Ö Imagination
Running Ö Initiative
Head and Neck Movement Ö Patience
Movement Across Mid-line
Balancing Ö Feeling
Handling Ö Seeing
Controls (buttons, knobs, pedals, levers, cranks) Ö Hearing
Grasp Ö Form Perception
Finger Dexterity Ö Clerical Perception
Manual Dexterity Ö Auditory (hearing)
Motor Coordination discrimination
Driving Ö Tactile (touch)
Spatial (space) discrimination
Fairfield Medical Center - 20 months ago