This position is responsible for the dispatch operations in the Transportation Department.
A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
- Interpret and monitor compliance for policies, regulations and best practices for the driver population including (logging hours of service regulations, delivery and credit policies, etc.)
- Fill routes based on driver availability daily using the standby and extraboard lists and then develop and update driver and driver helper dispatch schedule daily.
- Provides input on hiring, firing, and performance of a large population of drivers.
- Set up daily tractor/trailer assignments for drivers.
- Provide work direction for a large group of drivers on a daily basis. May be the only person providing direction during certain times.
- Provide daily contact for customers, especially in the evening when customer service is not available. This includes resolving driver/store conflicts.
- Provides guidance for drivers to waiver from company policies or best practices (i.e. a customer wants to make a return outside company policy).
- Prepare daily records, communications, and maintain filing system for Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports and Department of Transportation (DOT) files.
- Complete transportation paperwork including route manifests, invoices, special customer notifications, maps, etc.
- Understand DOT hours of service and ensure driver compliance.
- Verify equipment "readiness" with Transportation Shop.
- Call customers to inform them of variances in delivery times.
- Provide timely reports to immediate supervisor as requested.
- Possess very strong interpersonal skills and be able to discuss dispatch issues with drivers, customers and managers.
- College degree.
- Be able to rapidly gain knowledge of mainframe computer applications relating to record keeping and scheduling.
- Have experience in Windows environment on Excel, Microsoft Word, and Outlook programs (preferred).
- Have map reading abilities.
- Have effective communication skills.
- Have adequate math and writing skills.
- Have a minimum of 3 years in similar function (preferred).
McLane - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard -
You might say this company makes it convenient for stores and restaurants to get food. McLane Company is one of the largest wholesale...