How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with the application. Job Summary
The University of Michigan Parking & Transportation Services provides transit and fleet services to faculty, staff & students. The Transit Manager reports to the Associate Director of Transportation Operations and performs a variety of administrative duties to oversee the daily operation of the Transportation Department. Responsibilities*
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skill and abilities.
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and the ability to direct a diverse team of operations staff.
- Demonstrates innovation and sound judgment in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating the operations, programs, activities, and services of the Transportation Department.
- Within the Transportation Department, and subject to oversight of the Associate Director, direct agency personnel in compliance with all local, state, and federal employment policies, laws, and regulations, including personnel policies.
- Complete required financial reports and compliance reports in a timely manner.
- Experienced in implementation and use of technology allowing increased productivity in the following areas:
- asset utilization
- route optimization
- dispatch operations
- Recommend appropriate staffing needs and solutions to fill those needs.
- Supervise the performance of contracts for work.
- Maintain records as required by law.
- Meet with various constituents to determine transportation needs and solutions to identified needs.
- Develop a contact relationship with federal and state agencies and programs.
- Develop budgets for transit programs, recommend same to the Associate Director, and implement appropriate budget monitoring techniques.
- Supervise a dispatching program.
- Provide for the collection and collation of statistics for ridership, miles, etc.
- Provide statistics to Planner to facilitate completion of state and federal reporting forms.
- Cooperate with Planner to complete annual planning requirements and to implement various funding opportunities.
- Coordinate transit management portion of monthly meetings. Required Qualifications*
- Demonstrated ability to instill a culture of high levels of customer service.
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and objectives of public administration, including extensive knowledge of financial administration, generally accepted accounting principles, and personnel management.
- Knowledge of municipal operations, standards, and practices, including knowledge relating to public relations, and finance.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to governmental units.
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply local, state, and federal laws and regulations relating to governments, particularly the following areas: legislative process; finance; budgeting and accounting; public employment; and contract letting.
- Ability to perform complex and varied work, interpret technical information; gather and analyze financial information; conduct statistical analysis and prepare related reports; and analyze in order to make sound decisions and recommendations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, co-workers, department heads, public officials, and the public.
- Skill in using modern office equipment, including computers and word-processing, and spreadsheet software; and telecommunications equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Skill in personnel management, including the ability to train, assign, motivate, counsel, and discipline employees, and the ability to direct and evaluate the work of employees.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least two years of increasingly responsible experience, or one year of increasingly responsible experience if a Master's Degree is held.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Additional Information