The State Route 125 Toll Road, I-15 FasTrak Lanes, and motorist aid programs such as SAFE - the highway call boxes and call centers for motorists in distress, and Freeway Service Patrol (FSP) - the network of tow truck drivers who assist stranded motorists with vehicle difficulty, are important initiatives that ensure San Diegans get where they need to go as quickly and as efficiently as possible. The intern will support daily operations and assist with monitoring program performance.
With guidance and mentoring from senior staff, this position will provide a hands-on learning experience in the transportation planning and operations profession. Examples of intern responsibilities include:
- Contribute to the research, collection, and compilation of project and program data; ensure the accuracy of information; maintain comprehensive databases and documentation.
- Assist with data analysis, including statistical calculations; participate in estimating/forecasting potential trends.
- Assist with researching and responding to grant-funding opportunities.
- Collect, compile and assist with drafting documents required for meeting agendas, committee reports, and presentations.
- Assist with providing staff support to committee meetings; record and summarize minutes and actions.
- Contribute to the production of project-specific presentation graphics, maps and diagrams; assist with the production of communications such as newsletters, flyers, brochures, questionnaires, etc.
- Assist with the review of contractor/consultant submittals for compliance; process and audit project-related invoices.
- Assist with program related public outreach and respond to requests for project information from the public or other interested parties.
SANDAG staff are known for their commitment to excellence and passion for the work they do. We look for the same qualities in interns. To be most successful in this position, our ideal candidate would have the following education, experience, and attributes:
- Graduate or final year undergraduate level coursework in planning, engineering, public policy, geography, business/public administration, information technology, or a related field.
- Knowledge of current issues and trends related to regional transportation planning, congestion management, and traffic engineering.
- Ability to independently complete complex assignments that involve researching, quantitative analysis, and synthesizing information into written summaries, reports, or recommendations.
- Advanced computer skills with MS Office software, in particular MS Excel; experience conducting and summarizing Internet research; demonstrated proficiency with learning new software applications.
- Ability to communicate with various audiences using exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and work on several projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated flexibility and willingness to perform a variety of tasks typical of an entry-level planning position.
Program, Pay, and Perks
This internship is offered as a one-year position, working approximately 20 to 25 hours per week. This position will primarily work from our offices in Otay Mesa. The work is performed during SANDAGs normal business hours; a specific schedule would be worked out between the intern and manager.
Interns are paid $13.50 per hour and are provided with several perks such as a transponder for use on the SR 125 toll road, Employee Wellness Program, and an Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
How to Apply
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this internship by sending us a completed Employment Application form along with a recent 2-to-3 page writing sample. A cover letter describing how this internship would contribute to your career goals in the transportation planning field is highly desirable.
The Employment Application form can be downloaded from the Careers section of the SANDAG Web site. Once completed, your application and writing sample can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to SANDAG, Attn: Human Resources, 401 B Street, Suite 800, San Diego, CA 92101.
Apply immediately. We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. The internship is expected to start in late May 2013.
Any questions regarding this internship or application procedures can be referred to Tala Piñones, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (619) 710-4018.
SANDAG is an Equal Opportunity Employer
San Diego Association of Governments - 15 months ago
The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is comprised of 18 city and county governments which serve as a forum for regional...