Plans, designs and directs, engineering projects such as streets, roads, highways, residential and commercial developments, municipal projects, bridges, institutional facilities, industrial facilities, drainage projects, airports, and channels, by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Adheres to the CTA Project Management Plan and ensures all who work on assigned projects adhere to the plan.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographic and geologic data to plan and design project.
- Calculates cost, determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data, and prepares detailed cost estimates.
- Prepares and modifies reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for project.
- Meets with client periodically to coordinate changes, inform client of additional requirements, receive input from the client, answer client questions, and resolve issues.
- Coordinates project activity with review agencies, support staff, subcontractors, and other entities.
- Tracks project progress and prepares reports of activity in accordance with regulations, company policy and client needs.
- Inspects construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering plans, specifications, and construction and safety standards.
- Researches regulations, products, and design techniques to provide answers to client needs.
- Attends meetings such as City Council meetings, Planning Commission meetings, and inspection meetings to provide/receive information on projects and local requirements.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Makes marketing calls to existing and potential customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Directly supervises 1-5 engineers, technicians and designers in the Engineering Department during project administration.
COMPETENCIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies-
- Detail Oriented
- Planning, organizing and coordinating
- Excellent Communication Skills - listening, understanding, and responding
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Innovative thinking
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor's degree (BA, BS) from an accredited Engineering school in a four-year college or university.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Must be a Professional Engineer licensed to work in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri or Arkansas and be able to obtain license in other states as needed.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, clients, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as algebraic functions and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Design software; Internet software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS: Must possess a valid driver license and be able to travel up to 50% of the time. Department of Transportation experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.