Transportation Services Manager
JOB TITLE: Transportation Services Manager
This position is responsible for managing drivers, clerks, and 3PLs (third-party logistics providers) across multiple business units within USI (USSCO, Lagasse, ORS, Azerty) and will develop innovative day-to-day logistics solutions, support Company growth initiatives, and meet or exceed organizational goals within the local structure. This role is expected to uncover and respond to key marketplace developments, trends, opportunities or threats and develop collaborative action plans to proactively address key customer initiatives.
Reports to Area Manager Transportation Services. Has annual budget of $5M to $15M (including $5M to $10M capital purchase spend). Has up to $5M P&L accountability in freight recovery dollars (revenue). Has accountability for 1 to 3 facilities.
• Carrier/Fleet Network Management: Provides RFP support (subject matter expert, operational components), fleet utilization and optimization, carrier compliance, claims, equipment management, resource allocation, daily use of Fleet Management System (FMS)/Transportation Management System (TMS), tracking metrics/key performance indicators, utilizing routing tool, execution of area/region contingency plans, creation of ad hoc contingency plans, ADOT/Warehouse Transfer – shuttle network (interdivisional), LDPs, linehauls (identify opportunities and execute), inbound, customer service calls, rectifying service failures – first line of defense (problem solver/takes ownership).
• Safety/Security/Compliance: Ensures that team and location meet all Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, Department of Transportation, and Company requirements. Identifies and solves daily issues at a first level, such as hazardous material and accident investigation. Performs safety reporting.
• Serves as safety champion within the facility striving for best in class status while meeting or exceeding safety performance metrics.
• Customer Interaction (External): Last mile execution (delivery and related services to customer), related system use, consultative services, sales presentations/part of sales team for local market, procurement interaction, daily distribution of product to the customer
• Tactical Execution of Key Initiatives: Participates in and leads key projects and high performance teams at a local or area level. Drives change within team, performs analytics, manages projects, identifies and executes business/supply chain opportunities at a local level.
• P&L Responsibility: Develops and manages local budget and conducts local financial modeling. Researches profitability/cost-to-serve at a local level and has accountability for local P&L. Partners with A/P on invoices, bills, etc., and assists with variance analysis and reporting.
• Business Partner/Local Business Team member: Subject matter expert, designs and implements customer logistics solutions, serves multiple facilities/BUs; monthly/quarterly business or other reviews.
• Optimizes supply chain network across business units by leveraging fixed assets through converting inbound suppliers to collect and generate third party revenue.
• Serves as key transportation liaison; participates in Local Business Teams; educates Sales on supply chain programs and policies and supports customer facing events.
• Manages people, processes, budgets, performance management, compliance activities, and associate development as required by the job.
• Develops talent within the facility and fosters a productive and safe environment with the USI team.
• Understands and demonstrates United Stationers' Core Values.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Leadership, communication, and change management skills. Ability to communicate and persuade at management level.
• Functional knowledge of all modes of transportation including fleet (private and 3PL), parcel, LTL, TL, courier / mid market, etc.
• Strong critical thinking, organization, and interpersonal communication skills.
• In depth knowledge of transportation and supply chain software: TMS, ERP, FMS systems.
• Ability to review and interpret financial models as they relate to budgets and strategic planning.
• Understanding of regulatory issues (DOT compliance, hazmat, etc.).
• Capability to influence decision-making and instill credibility in customers, peers, and subordinates through meeting strategic and tactical objectives, deadlines, and budgets.
• Proven ability to bring efficiency and scale to a multi-site, multi-business unit environment.
• Metrics/KPIs: Cost as % of sales; WOW - $$ vs. %; Cost Factor, Economic Profit, Service Levels; Freight Revenue; Asset utility; strategic initiative goal attainment; core metrics/BU metrics; consumption rate; lift in sales (indirect); margin; true cost of sale/concessions/credits. Customer freight recovery; value creation across the supply chain.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in logistics, transportation, supply chain, or related field.
• Minimum five (5) years managing transportation, inbound logistics, warehousing; procurement, small package/parcel.
United Stationers - 23 months ago
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...