The Travel section at U.S. News & World Report ( http://travel.usnews.com/ ) is looking for entry-level reporters to help with the build-out of the Best Hotels rankings and the associated consumer advice. These are temporary positions that include a significant amount of research, data analysis, writing and reporting.
Reporters will be responsible for collecting data on and writing brief descriptions of individual hotel properties, which will be used to populate our Hotel pages. Our ideal candidates are dedicated self-starters and efficient, detail-oriented workers with a strong interest in the hospitality industry and consumer journalism.
Compensation will be based on reporting work submitted (per hotel completed).
Reporters will be working remotely. We may request they come into our Washington, D.C. office for a project kickoff, and they are expected to participate in conference calls and possibly in-person meetings during the course of the project.
Applicants must provide a résumé and a cover letter. We would also like applicants to complete a writing test: Please use any and all available online resources — including expert and traveler reviews — to produce a 100-word review of The Hay-Adams hotel in Washington, D.C. Please focus the review on explaining why a traveler may consider The Hay-Adams instead of alternative hotels, or vice versa.
- Strong editing skills — you should be capable of being both editor and copy editor, catching minor grammatical errors and discerning broader subject-matter problems
- Ability to work on deadline and handle several tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal communication skills — you will be representing U.S. News so we are looking for reporters who conduct themselves professionally over the phone
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Familiarity with AP style
Please send all materials to email@example.com and include "Travel Project" in the subject line.
U.S. News & World Report - 9 months ago
Founded in 1933, the weekly national news magazine U.S.News & World Report is devoted to reporting and to analyzing national and...