Reports to the Treatment Foster Care Program Supervisor
Summary – The practical leader of a therapeutic foster care team composed of the child in care, the birth family, the therapeutic foster parents, the program director/supervisor, the custodial agency case worker, and others involved in the effort to promote the child’s normal development and successful adjustment to family and community living. The Family Consultant’s primary task is to focus the effort of all team members on common goals and strategies to assure continuity of approach across the key persons and setting impacting the child’s development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:Qualifications (must meet QMHP qualifications):
- Develop special expertise in behavioral analysis and planning using the ABC framework as a fundamental conceptual model.
- Provide training and consultation for the Teaching Parents, child/youth and their parents.
- Provide direct emotional support and technical assistance to the family(ies) involved in the child’s care and treatment through home visits and phone contact; ensure the family(ies) receive support through emotionally challenging periods of extreme and troubling behavior and models appropriate responses and teaching strategies.
- Guide parents through a proactive process of assessment, goal-setting and ABC planning to address the child’s current emotional/behavioral problems and to promote the child’s normal development.
- Function as an in-home trainer/model to help parents carry out the specific ABC treatment plans, using and enhancing the skills they development initially in the Parenting Skills Training.
- Support and supervise the Teaching Parents in their role as primary change agency with children placed in their care.
- A doctor’s or master’s degree in social work form a college or university a field related to social work. One year of experience in providing casework services to children and families; OR
- A baccalaureate degree in social work or field related to social work. One year of experience in providing casework services to children and families; OR
- Experience in the field of foster care or experience in working with behavioral programs, counseling, and/or skills training is preferred.
- A minimum of one year of program administration is highly desirable.
- Valid Driver’s License and favorable driving record required (no more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years; no more than 1 at-fault accident in the last 3 years; no DUIs in the last 5 years)