This is a high profile, litigation intensive position requiring considerable initiative, legal creativity and the ability to relate with business clientele. This Nationwide Trial Division position involves handling cases from start to finish, including First Chair trial experience. Commercial litigation experience is required and construction defect experience is preferred.
JOB SUMMARY: Provides legal representation for clients in matters of higher-risk. Reviews and evaluates assigned cases. Prepares and tries cases in all courts and agencies. Communicates with Claims and clients. Provides related legal advice and services Fosters and develops relationships with Claims. Might assist in mentoring other trial attorneys and paralegals.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Managing Attorney.
1. Leads or works directly on high risk and/or complicated legal matters, representing clients in trials or hearings before courts or agencies, including appeals and arbitrations.
2. May be specialized in one or more areas of law or lines of business. May handle cases at an appellate level and/or in Federal Court.
3. Reviews and evaluates cases and lawsuits. Maintains billable hour requirement.
4. Prepares and tries cases of high complexity and exposure in all courts and agencies, including cases involving toxic substances, extensive injuries, permanent injuries and/or ongoing treatment. Cases may involve inflammatory factors (DUI, death of a child, egregious behavior).
5. Works with client and claims to establish, communicates and implements Litigation Plan. Keeps client and Claims fully informed.
6. Obtains meaningful discovery, takes depositions, and participates in motions practice as warranted.
7. Recognizes, participates and promotes settlement opportunities. Negotiates as authorized; settlement value requires adjusters second level manager approval.
8. Demonstrated proficiency interpreting Insurance contracts and coverage issues.
9. Follows established NTD Best Practices Guidelines; may conduct training for Claims.
10. Fosters and develops relationship with Claims; has contact with Claims management.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: JD degree or equivalent.
Designations: Currently licensed as an attorney in an appropriate U.S. jurisdiction.
Experience: Typically has in excess of eight years of relevant civil litigation, trial experience and/or agency hearing representation experience. A skilled attorney in an area of law relevant to insurance practice.
Knowledge: Has significant expertise in a specialized area of law. Engages in complex legal practices and procedures. Adherence to Private Practice of Law Policy.
Skills/ Competencies: Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Significant negotiation skills. Ability to process information efficiently and effectively. Excellent analytical and legal skills. Resourceful, creative thinker. Computer savvy with a working knowledge of basic software and use of same. Good time management and organization skills. Has contact with all levels of management. Decision making ability to set work priorities and make recommendations. Ability to initiate, organize and coordinate complex projects and cases. Leadership skills, including motivating, influencing and problem solving.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: VP, Trial Division and HR Officer.
Overtime eligibility: Not Eligible (exempt)
Working Conditions: Professional law office environment. Frequent travel. Occasional overnight travel. Extended hours are often necessary to meet the demands of the profession.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to performs a somewhat different combination of duties.
Credit Check: Due to the fiduciary accountabilities of this job, a valid credit check and/or background which will be required as part of the selection process.
Driving Record: A satisfactory driving record is required due to the out of office travel.
Complete this application and apply to Job ID10070 when redirected.
- 2 years ago - save job
Nationwide is a high-performing organization, and we continue to prove it every day. Our Property and Casualty Division sells a unique mix...