Division: Biological Assessment
State/Province: Nebraska [NE]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Trialing Manager 1
Job ID: 3817
Role purpose :
The purpose of the Station Trialing Manager role is to manage nursery and yield trial projects on behalf of multiple scientists and projects, ensuring they are completed timely, accurately and in the most cost effective manner. This is measured by reliability of seed production, precision of yield trials, and budget efficiency.
1. Personnel Management of site support staff
- Recruit, hire, train and manage direct reports
- Continuous improvement of direct reports through IPMs, training, and mentoring
- Recruit and manage seasonal staff
2. Oversee station activities to assure that department standards and timelines are met for packaging, planting, agronomic management and harvesting of:
- In season nurseries
- Seed multiplication and hybrid / variety makeup
- High quality yield trials, including location selection and data analysis
- Continuous and off-season nurseries
- Disease nurseries with uniform high disease / pest pressure
- Includes greenhouse activities and scheduling within your site
3. Align resource and work plans within your Station
- Work with your Regional Trialing Lead to assure Demand and Resources are well balanced within your Station
4. Manage Operating Budgets within your Station within expected guidelines
5. Indentify and support capital needs within your Station that are financially responsible and improve Trialing efficiency / quality
6. Indentify and plan for synergies within your Station that maximize cross-crop testing and evaluation
7. Coordinate Contra Season activities with the Winter Nursery (WN) Capacity Control team and on-site Scientists (if applicable, could also apply to Greenhouse work)
- Manage logistics of packaging seed in accordance with Scientist’s selections
- Assemble seed as per the direction of WN or Greenhouse staff protocols
- Assign and schedule staff members trips to WN sites as needed to support WN activities
8. Research Site Management Responsibilities (applies to Trailing Managers that are also Site Managers)
- Building, grounds and land maintenance
- Coordinate field days, site tours, and demo plots
- Manage all on-station and off-station farming operations associated with the site, for multiple functional areas, to insure all crop culture operations are administered in a timely manner to optimize crop growth and development
9. Support and model a Station culture that meets or exceeds the Syngenta standards for HSE and Stewardship
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- A thorough knowledge of the breeding and testing process and requirements.
- Understanding of testing environments and impact on product evaluation and line selection.
- General understanding of field, road and lab equipment utilization.
- A good understanding of cultural practices (e.g., weed control, soil fertility practices).
- BS degree and five years experience in field research preferred
- Demonstrated ability in field research process management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and motivate staff and teams
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively function as a team member in cross functional activities.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to establish priorities and oversee multiple research activities simultaneously at peak work periods.
- Strong management skills, with the ability to manage a wide variety of crop operations and diverse individuals.
Critical leadership capabilities:
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Flexibility and resourcefulness in a fast paced work environment.
- Possession of work ethic that strives for excellence in, productivity, accuracy, timeliness, and innovativeness.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Capable of working long hours during
- time-critical periods of the research cycle.
- WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Domestic travel required with occasional overnight stays. Travel outside continental U.S. may be required.
- Travel = 10%
Syngenta - 12 months ago
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...