Scribd is a YCombinator startup based in San Francisco looking for an outstanding visual and human interface designer to join our growing Product & Design team to improve existing web and mobile products and build new ones.
Scribd’s vision is to build the future of reading and publishing by making it easy to share and discover entertaining, informative and engaging written content across the web and mobile devices. Notably, we're already one of the top 100 sites on the web with over 90 million monthly visitors. We have scaled the world's third largest ruby on rails site, invented the first HTML5 document reader, and done original work on textual analysis. We’ve won lots of awards, raised $20M along the way and we're at the threshold of some breakthrough launches, but the journey is only 1% finished, and we’re looking for best of breed designers to take Scribd to the next level.
As a key member of a small and agile team you will work closely with the product managers, UX designers, and engineers to iterate on and refine designs during ideation, iteration, and as they are developed for production. You will also work closely with the Lead Visual Designer to create compelling visual materials. Because we have a large user-base and deploy new production almost daily your work will be seen and used by millions of people.
Scribd has a unique company culture that combines a fun-loving atmosphere with a phenomenal and creative team work environment. That said, the coolest stuff that we’re doing we haven’t yet announced, so you’ll need to talk to us to find out what we’re up to.
Who You Are
You’re an independent and original creative professional. You enjoy being part of an innovative and team oriented environment where you get to work with product-focused teams. You enjoy collaboration and appreciate the exchange of ideas and concepts.
You are passionate about software products and obsess over their usability, and with improving people’s interaction with these. You have extreme attention to detail and are meticulous about how you communicate and document your designs.
You care deeply about your work and how it will impact millions of users daily. Your work ethic is exemplary.
What You’ll Do:
• Design features and functionality; deliver pixel-perfect mockups and final artwork, produce visual assets, and documentation required for proper implementation
• Work closely with engineering teams before, during, and after implementation to ensure optimal adherence to visual specifications
• Quickly create and iterate on various designs using wireframes and comps
• Maintain consistency in terms of interactions and appearance across all web and mobile products.
• Work with the Lead Visual Designer to deliver high definition mocks and detailed specifications that abide by Scribd’s visual styleguide
• A degree in Graphic Design, Human-Computer Interaction or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 2+ years of dedicated experience in web visual/interaction design, web graphic design, or similar field
• 3+ years experience as a member of a cross-functional team where you were part of designing, shipping, and revising more than one customer-facing web, mobile or software product
• Strong illustration, iconography, and website design ability
• Strong comprehension and appreciation for innovative use of typography, color, and layout for digital media
• Understanding of user-centered design principles, current design, and interaction trends.
• Strong written and spoken communication skills; comfort presenting cohesive design approaches to non-design audiences.
• Expertise in Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or other visual design tools.
Other nice to haves:
• Familiarity with HTML and CSS and how they will be used to bring your beautiful designs to the web
• Working knowledge of opportunities and constraints of current and new UI languages, devices, and technologies as they pertain to visual design
Please submit your portfolio when you apply.
Scribd is the largest social reading and publishing site in the world with more than 75 million readers each month. We've made it incredibly...