Under direction, and with the guidance of an American College of Radiology Board Certified Radiologist, performs Ultrasound procedures as requested by a physician. All procedures will be performed in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Assists physicians with biopsy and other invasive procedures, utilizing Ultrasound as guidance for needle placement and maintaining sterile technique as appropriate.
- Organizes daily schedule ensuring patient throughput is efficient with patients studies being performed in the chronological order they were requested, with STAT examinations taking precedence over all others.
- Performs a variety of complex specialized ultrasound exams in the specialties of abdominal ob/gyn, breast vascular and neurosonography according to department protocol. Utilizes high frequency soundwaves to differentiate normal from abnormal anatomy in a timely manner, while still maintaining excellent exam quality.
- Prepares a sonographer impression form for each study performed to include a detailed patient history and diagnoses pertinent to the particular exam executed and obtains stat preliminary results on abnormal exams according to department protocol.
- Reviews and correlates patients exam orders with patients current history and prior exam history to ensure that the appropriate exam is being performed.
- Verifies correct transfer of images and exam information through PACS and RIS for interpretation by the Radiologists , and ensure correct charging.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates standard knowledge of normal vs. abnormal anatomy.
- Recognizes and diagnoses disease processes pertinent to exams performed.
- Cognisant of critical findings and situations and how to address them competently in conjunction with critical thinking skills and good decision making.
- Excellent knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pathology related to abdominal, ob/gyn, vascular, breast, and neurosonography.
- Ability to adapt scanning technique to enable performance of exam requested at all levels of difficulty.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently displaying confidence in diagnoses and images obtained.
- Ability to physically assist patients on and off the table.
- Ability to perform exams in the Ultrasound department as well as in surgery and at the patient's bedside.
- Must be integrity, compassion, confidentiality, high discretionary level, and professionalism.
- Self-motivation incorporated into a strong spirit of teamwork is also required.
Associates Allied Health Required
4 years Healthcare/Medical Ultrasound Required
Methodist Hospitals Inc. - 7 months ago