Job Summary |
Working Conditions, Hazards and Physical Effort
- The Unit Extender position is divided into 3 individual roles with specific job duties within each role. An individual in this position is expected to be able to function effectively in all roles. The 3 roles consist of the ED Patient Care Technician, the ED Triage Technician and the ED Clerk. The Unit Extender provides patient care under the direction of licensed staff and within the scope of defined practice. Demonstrates a commitment to accountability and growth to maintain and expand knowledge and skills. Serves as a liaison between other departments ensuring communication and accurate records are available. Adheres to practice in accordance with the Ephraim McDowell Health nursing professional practice model. Performance that accomplishes patient and family centered care as central to practice and a foundation of caring, compassion, competence, communication, collaboration and teamwork. Responsible to participate in shared nursing leadership to accomplish positive outcomes, education, respect, dignity, and safety. Exhibits the F.I.R.S.T. values (Friendliness, Innovation, Respect, Service, and Trust).
Minimum Qualifications or Equivalents
- Works in a well lighted, ventilated and air conditioned area. Often exposed to unpleasant odors, sights, and sounds. Long periods of standing, walking, stooping, heavy lifting and bending are required. Risks exposure to disease, infection and physical strain, and assault. Risks exposure to blood, body fluids, tissue, radiation and anti-neoplastic agents. Must be able to lift 50 lbs. independently. May work all shifts, some weekends and overtime.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations
- Education: High school graduate or equivalent. Will receive on the job training. Medical terminology is preferred.
- Experience: One-year hospital experience preferred. Medical terminology experience is preferred. Phlebotomy experience preferred. EKG experience preferred. Basic computer/typing skills are preferred. CAN/SRNA/EMT certification preferred.
- EQUIPMENT USED/SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED: Must have computer skills.
- Basic Life Support certification (successful completion within 3 months) and Non Violent Crisis Intervention (successful completion within 1 year). Annual trauma education required (provided on site).
- If BLS is expired, will not be able to work.