Reports To: |
Engineering Manager, Water/Gas/Wastewater; Manager, Electric Operations
Purpose of Classification
Under general direction, prepares cost estimates and plans for Capital Improvement Projects, interfaces with contractors and consultants to insure contract work conforms to plans and specifications provides inter-utility coordination of projects planning, prepares work orders indicating labor, material and equipment requirements for construction by City personnel for a variety of projects.
Utilities Engineering Estimator is a classification found in the Water/Gas/Wastewater and Electrical Divisions of the Utilities Department. This position provides the estimating functions in preparing plans for Water/Gas/Wastewater and Electrical Utility Capital Improvement Projects and the preparation of work orders indicating labor, material and equipment requirements for construction by City personnel for a variety of projects. In addition to the two primary responsibility of cost estimating and preparation of work orders, the Engineering Estimator provides inspection services for construction projects, inter-faces with contractors and consultants to insure in-house and contract work conforms to plans and specifications, and provides inter-utility coordination of project planning.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducts field review of project site to determine project design constraints.
- Prepares plans, specifications, and cost estimates for construction, operation, and maintenance of Water/Gas/Wastewater or Electrical facilities.
- Process customer applications for utility services, determines requirements, performs records search; performs design work, prepares work orders, plans, and material list for field construction.
- Prepares detailed and cost estimates of projects to be constructed by City forces or by contractors.
- Orders materials not in stock and estimates delivery dates for engineering proposals.
- Conducts periodic inspections of work in progress to insure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Approves acceptable work at established stages or indicates revisions necessary to meet specification requirements, works with City personnel, builders, and contractors to achieve required corrections.
- Makes progress reports and measures actual against estimated costs, maintains appropriate records of inspections, cost estimates, and other related data.
- Assists in preparation of utility's annual budget and capital improvement programs.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Completion of two years of college level engineering courses in mechanical and/or civil engineering for Water/Gas/Sewer position, electrical engineering for Electrical position. or
- 3 years or more experience in Water/Gas/Sewer or Electric Utility construction, depending upon assignment.
- Experience in estimating and field inspection.
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License
Knowledge of AUD or AutoCAD is a plus.
City of Palo Alto - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard