Post high school education required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred. One-year experience preferred.
Must be registry eligible or be registered as a Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) or Registered Vascular Technician (RVT).
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Prepares examination room with proper equipment and supplies required for performing specific examination.
2. Checks patient’s identification and reviews patient charts, medical information / history, examination / procedure order etc. to ensure procedure / treatment done on patient is correct. Explains procedures being done to the patient to reduce anxiety / uncertainty and obtains patient’s cooperation; provides for patient comfort and care.
3. Positions patient on examination table and makes adjustments if needed, to immobilization devices to obtain optimum views of specific area of the body being imaged and treated.
4. Selects transducer and adjusts equipment controls for the selection of optimal techniques for the imaging / processing of the body area or organ to be examined, adjusts depth of field and other specifications required of the test.
5. Keys test data and patient information into ultrasound equipment computer to maintain record of test results.
6. Moves transducer by hand over specified area of body and observes sound wave display screen to monitor quality of ultrasound pattern produced; recognizes the significance of structure visualized on the monitor for proper identification and recording of anatomical structures.
7. Must have basic computer skills to operate Picture Archiving System (PACS) and computer system for charging, tracking, and scheduling patients. Other basic computer skills as needed.
8. Must be able to operate laser printer, incase PACS system is down, to record images.
9. Differentiates artifacts normal or pathological processes; properly identifies images by direct patient information anatomical orientation.
10. Communicates with physician / radiologist regarding test / examination results and assists with interpreting the imaging results; communicates with patient during examination and shares results of examination as appropriate.
11. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development and the skills necessary to provide age specific and appropriate care of the patient according to their age category; interprets data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s age specific needs consistent with the care of the patient.
12. May assist patient to and from examination / treatment area; may transport patient from department to other areas of the hospital via wheelchair, patient bed, ambulatory assistance, etc.
13. May perform some basic nursing care / first aid type care or personal care needs, take vitals, monitor patient IV’s, etc., practices good infection control / hand washing techniques to prevent cross-contamination.
14. Record or chart information related to examination / test in patient’s chart; maintains patient logs daily and compiles statistical data monthly; may assist with other record maintenance as needed.
15. Maintains work area and equipment cleanliness, inventory supplies of linens / cleaning solutions; may make purchasing requisitions as requested.
16. Attends / participates in departmental meetings, in-services, Mary Lanning Healthcare Quality Improvement programs, etc.
17. This job summary neither states nor implies that these are the only job duties to be performed by the incumbent. The employee is required to follow any reasonable instruction and to perform any relevant duty upon the request of the supervisor.
18. Will be required to work varied weekday hours and take weekend, holiday, and after hours call.
Mary Lanning Memorial Hospital - 21 months ago