Looking for a ground floor opportunity to learn and contribute to 'making quality health care affordable'? Do you have good mathematical and analytic skills in addition to excellent verbal and written communication skills? We are seeking a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced environment where juggling multiple priorities is 'business as usual.
- The Underwriter Trainee is responsible for the profitability of an assigned book of business in the 'middle market' segment. Through a combination of hands-on work assignments, department mentorship, and self-paced learning, the Trainee will learn the basics of Financial Underwriting and apply them.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely calculation of credible account rates on customers with fewer than 100 enrolled subscribers.
- Enforce adherence to Underwriting Guidelines and be responsible for approval of exceptions.
- Develop creative pricing strategies which achieve profitability and market share targets.
- Participate in the development of new rating practices.
- Prepare complete actuarial and underwriting analyses for account renewals. This includes whole account strategy and contribution strategy recommendations.
- Analyze and explain comparative advantages and disadvantages of various commercial programs submitted in competitive bidding situations.
- Monitor and report on the profitability and persistency of the assigned book of business.
- Data entry into rating systems and documents for senior underwriters
- Pull reports and provide analytics to Senior Underwriters
- Creative problem solving ability is required
- Seeks continuous professional development
Proficiency in Excel and Word, and ability to learn new software/tools.
- Sound business judgment with the ability to identify and respond flexibly to business issues.
- Flexible customer service style and ability to work with internal/external business partners.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate in a team oriented setting.
- High level of thoroughness and accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Commitment to high standards of performance and willingness to put in extra effort to achieve
- Must possess superior oral and written communication skills
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent job related experience required; degree in Finance, Economics or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year underwriting or related business experience preferred; knowledge of/experience with BCBSMA products/operations strongly preferred.
- Must have demonstrated sound business judgment.
- Some knowledge of health benefit program and financial arrangements from both a risk and cash flow aspect is preferred.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts - 23 months ago
If you're looking for a challenging work environment, opportunities to continually develop your skills, and be part of an organization that...