Plymouth Rock, founded in 1982 by Jim Stone, former Massachusetts Insurance Commissioner, is a privately held insurance company that writes personal and commercial lines of business in the Northeastern United States. Today, Plymouth Rock, with more than $1billion in premiums underwritten and serviced, is comprised of a group of companies that were started or acquired to expand product offerings, channels of distribution, and the geographic footprint. With more than 800,000 policyholders, Plymouth Rock writes insurance through more than 800 independent agents.
The Plymouth Rock Group employs over 1,600 people and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The underwriter will evaluate and assess new business submissions from his or her respective agency assignment. The underwriter must build successful working relationships with our agent partners while ensuring the agencies are in compliance with our underwriting guidelines and statutory requirements. The underwriter must possess superior written and verbal communication skills as he or she will work closely with our Marketing and Product Development Departments as well as other units of the Underwriting Operations department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Underwrite New Business submissions to ensure quality and compliance with our underwriting guidelines, statutory requirements and investigating any aspect of the application that is questionable.
• Make decisions regarding eligibility in accordance with our established guidelines, policies, procedures, and statutes.
• Actively participate in and lead projects related to the Matrix suite of systems including departmental business impacts specific to the new system and those created by the existance of multiple systems.
• Identify and participate in the enhancement of policy writing and quotation/sales system process, reduce manual intervention and improve ease of business.
• Frequent participation in and development of various underwriting integrity projects.
• Manage agency assignment to their specific marketing and production goals; including the development and implementation of strategies to achieve those goals.
• Responsible for the development of the Agency-Company relationships including scheduling regular agency visits, following up on projected goals and performing new business audits; including training tools and objectives.
• Communicate with agents, both written and verbally regarding questions, quality of business or any service related issues.
• Perform cancellation, denial and nonrenewal underwriting actions in compliance with underwriting guidelines and the New Jersey Administrative Code and laws.
• Respond to and monitor underwriting referrals for endorsements, renewal questionnaires, claims and Rate Pursuit documents.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all unsafe activities to supervisor and/or Human Resources.
• Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals.
• Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• A four year college degree from an accredited college or university and three years new business underwriting and agency management experience OR at least five years experience (New Jersey auto, home and umbrella experience is required).
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc
Handle multiple tasks or projects simultaneously
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION:
NJ Property and Casualty License is a plus but not required.
Plymouth Rock Assurance Corporation
- 2 years ago - save job