Full-time - Kansas City Regional Office (Lenexa, KS)
Position Summary — The Underwriter position provides a full range of underwriting and customer service support activities to ProAg Management's underwriting business units. This position is involved in maintaining a strong working knowledge of regulatory rules and company regulations and procedures. This position is involved in the review and evaluation of crop insurance documents. The Underwriter reports directly to the Underwriting Supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews documents for accuracy and timeliness.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of company software applications to develop information for new or renewal policies and related reports.
- Analyzes and researches detailed policy information related to Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) error resolution.
- Reads and interprets FCIC documents.
- Produces accurate written communication.
- Analyzes and revises reports.
- Participates in surveys and studies by department to produce production and loss analysis reports as required.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Responds to common inquiries from Risk Management Agency (RMA) and Regional Service Offices (RSO).
- Reviews policy information for insurance coverage, proper rating, reports from loss control consultants and other information to determine if application is acceptable for the program(s) available.
II. Service & Support
III. Other duties as assigned.
- Assists with data entry as needed.
- Collaborates effectively with other Underwriters and the ProAg organization.
- Communicates professionally and effectively both orally and in writing with other ProAg staff and customers.
- Presents a professional appearance at all times.
- Works closely with Marketing, Claims, Compliance, and Accounting departments.
- Communicates orally, by correspondence or in person, with clients to obtain further information, run quotes, explain company underwriting policies or service existing accounts.
- Follows procedures when handling calls from Agents.
- Demonstrates best practices and desired behaviors when dealing with problem underwriting concerns, issue resolution, and training.
- Requires a high school diploma and/or at least 2 years of experience in the crop insurance industry or a related area.
- Familiarity with underwriting concepts, practices and procedures within the crop insurance industry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively both horizontally and vertically in oral and written formats with employees and the general public.
- Maintains confidentiality in daily operations.
- Conducts daily duties in a professional appearance and manner.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Proven administration and customer service skills.
- Ability to learn and use Microsoft Office Suite and automated underwriting and/or processing systems.