The Underwriting Assistant provides support and assistance to all levels of Underwriters, Underwriting Managers and Division Managers. Essential duties include collecting and reviewing data for new and renewal business and performing administrative duties for underwriting as requested.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review new and renewal submissions to determine if they meet underwriting criteria, and for completeness of documentation.
- Review incoming Broker of Record letters and process as deemed appropriate.
- Request predetermined documentation from the broker that will be required for rating, quoting, binding, and policy issuance.
- Review documentation as received and input into the underwriting dashboard.
- Set-up and diary for follow-up of requested documentation and information including receipt of underlying primary policies and completed surplus lines tax letters.
- Follow up for responses to quotes for both new and renewal business.
- Order loss inspections per division guidelines, diary for receipt, and follow-up as needed.
- Respond to loss run requests.
- Prepare accounts for underwriting including utilizing our underwriting tools to work with our insured's Statement of Values and submission information.
- Prepare and run submissions as instructed through our catastrophe modeling software.
- Process endorsements requests as requested.
- Follow-up with our brokers, Underwriters and Tech Service Technicians to ensure we provide timely policy issuance.
- Prepare and send Notices of Cancellation, as requested.
- Research, document, and maintain reference materials, as requested.
- Communicate effectively with our brokers and their support teams.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
- High school diploma required. Bachelor's Degree or 1-3 years equivalent work experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment. Commitment to providing superior customer service.
- High degree of personal initiative and self motivation. Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Strong ability in Excel preferred.
- General knowledge of P&C insurance operations preferred.
- Strong analytical skills.
James River Insurance - 16 months ago