Great American Insurance Group’s roots go back to 1872 with the founding of its flagship company, Great American Insurance Company. Based in Cincinnati, Ohio, the operations of Great American Insurance Group are engaged primarily in property and casualty insurance, focusing on specialty commercial products for businesses, and in the sale of annuities and supplemental insurance products. The members of the Great American Insurance Group are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, Inc. (AFG), also based in Cincinnati, Ohio. AFG’s common stock is listed and traded on the New York Stock Exchange (“NYSE”) and NASDAQ under the symbol “AFG”.
The Property and Inland Marine Division (P&IM) writes policies in all 50 states and has more than 2,000 independent agents offering our coverages. Our broad range of products include property, builders' risk, contractor’s equipment, excess property, transportation cargo, and electronic data processing (EDP).
The P&IM Division is searching for an Underwriting Specialist for our Parsippany, NJ office. The person hired for this position will have responsibility for risk selection and rejection, pricing, retention, growth and profitability in accordance to divisional objectives and company guidelines.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to support business goals.
- Maintains a high level of customer service.
- Analyzes coverage and limit requests and decides what terms to offer.
- Assesses risk quality and compliance within company guidelines and initiates appropriate loss prevention actions.
- Develops and maintains effective business relationships with internal and external customers / coworkers in order to attract and retain profitable business. Interprets, explains and markets products and services.
- Administers, applies and may update underwriting rules and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations. Provides technical advice to less experience staff members and other functional areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience underwriting commercial property and inland marine lines of business.
- Ability to perform work under minimal supervision.
- Candidates with certifications are encouraged to apply. Including, Associate in Underwriting (AU), Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Certified Insurance Counselor (CIC), Program in General Insurance (INS), Associate of Risk Management (ARM), or AMIM (Associate in Marine Insurance Management).
- Ability to work at the highest authority limits.
- Possesses a high and extensive level of technical knowledge and skills, including product and industry. Recognized as the company expert in the field.
- Position requires occasional travel, including some overnight trips as needed.
Great American Insurance Group is engaged primarily in property and casualty insurance ("P&C"), focusing on specialized...