Special Note: The person chosen for this position would be scheduled Monday / Tuesday night 11pm to 7am and Friday day, evening 11am to 7pm
The Unit Secretary performs clerical and receptionist duties on a nursing unit/department.
Maintains patient chart/record.
- Accurately processes and flags physician orders within one hour of receipt per ACH policy (i.e. Transcription Policy; B1: Admission Discharge, Transfer).
- Reviews charts daily as indicated by correct patient identification and proper order of forms.
- Ensures that required forms are replenished daily and prn in patient charts.
- Prepares patient charts for Medical Records Department according to established guidelines.
- Utilizes computer system to document the transfer of patient medical records.
- Thins chart per unit guidelines.
Performs clerical and receptionist duties.
- Ensures an appropriate level of forms, supplies and equipment on a daily basis, as indicated by availability to staff.
- Maintains clean and neat work area
- Facilitates the procurement, storage, and return of the past medical record.
- Demonstrates competency in using the computer system (i.e. physician orders, supplies, ancillary service requests and appointments).
- Answers telephone/call lights promptly using appropriate communication skills to screen, record, and route calls/messages to appropriate personnel/department.
- Responds appropriately to patient/family requests.
- Acts as a courier between the unit/department and other ancillary departments as needed to meet daily unit/department requirements.
- Informs appropriate department of defective equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of emergency situations and reacts appropriately.
- Learns and practices cost effective use of supplies
- Utilizes available communication tools (OA, staff meetings, and bulletin boards) to remain informed.
- Completes 4 contact hours per year of appropriate continuing education related to current practice area and role responsibilities.
- Consistently demonstrates that new knowledge and skills gained from education are incorporated into actual practice.
- Shares knowledge and expertise with nursing staff and other members of the health care team.
- High school graduate or GED.
Experience: Must meet at least one of the following requirements: Successful completion of a Unit Secretary course and 1 year of other secretarial experience or other health care experience OR 1 year Unit Secretary experience.
- Must meet at least one of the following requirements: Successful completion of a Unit Secretary course and 1 year of other secretarial experience or other health care experience OR 1 year Unit Secretary experience.
- Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for reasonable accommodation, ACH may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation.
- shift work
- works with others
- verbal contact with others
- face-to-face contact
- mechanical equipment
- electrical equipment
- moving objects
- hazardous materials
- ability to move distances between and within buildings
- lifting 50 pounds
- Mental/Reasoning Requirements:
- reading - complex
- writing - complex
- basic math skills
Arkansas Children's Hospital - 15 months ago
As the only pediatric medical center in the state, Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) serves the youngest Razorbacks from birth to age...