High School Diploma/GED
Minimum of 1 year of experience
Job Summary: The Unit Secretary I assists the Team Leaders/Charge Registered Nurse by coordinating non-clinical activities on a nursing unit. Responsibilities include initiating the processing of physician’s orders and managing information flow among nursing staff, physicians, ancillary departments, patients and other unit guests while providing excellent customer service. Communication skills are required to persuade or gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas. Responsibility exists to ensure that internal customers are satisfied with service. Communication with external contacts is for providing or receiving factual information. Courtesy and tact are required in dealing with customers.
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with Ascension Health Core Values, St. Agnes policies/ procedures and applicable civil laws. Is accountable for efficient use of resources and support of the St. Agnes mission.
Processes physician’s orders:
1. Transcribes physician’s orders:
c. in a timely fashion.
d. Immediately notifies appropriate person of stat orders.
2. Follows through on completion of forms, requisitions, and orders necessary to complete physician’s orders.
Management of Communication and Information Flow:
3. Keeps track of information needed by physicians, staff, patients, and visitors. Accurately disseminates this information to the appropriate person.
4. Is proficient in the use of communication devices including telephone, fax machine, computer, and nurse call system.
5. Applies standards of good customer relations with patients, families, and co-workers.
6. Presents a positive image to the public.
7. Answers telephone in a cordial, helpful manner.
8. When interacting with patients/families, uses specialized communication training specific to the patient/family age group.
9. Practices good listening skills.
10. Assist families/visitors in problem solving by referring them to the appropriate source.
Coordination of Clerical Functions:
11. Uses computer terminal for data entry and retrieval:
a. Enters orders correctly.
b. Retrieves information accurately.
12. Acts as resource for nursing staff for computer use.
13. Organizes work and sets priorities.
14. Maintains nursing station in neat and organized manner.
15. Collects patient statistics and keeps patient log book up-to-date.
16. Maintains charts in proper order, applies labels to patients’ medical records, prepares new charts, checks for completeness.
17. Inventories and orders stock as assigned.
18. Ensures that record of patient charges for past 24 hours is available for pick-up.
19. Assists with orientation for new secretaries.
20. Provides complete instruction and exposure to all aspects of role when training new unit secretaries.
21. Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
22. Is supportive of peers and leadership and deals with differences of opinion in a constructive way.
Use of Resources:
23. Demonstrates consideration of cost containment by demonstrating effective and efficient use of time, supplies, and materials.
Knowledge of St. Agnes Mission, Goals, and Objectives:
24. Participates in staff meetings.
25. Meets standard for mandatory training.
Required Education: Graduation from h igh school, GED, commercial school, or equivalent required.
Required Experience: One year in hospital environment as Unit Secretary preferred. Medical transcription experience required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Supervision received from: Nurse Manager
Saint Agnes Hospital - 17 months ago