Supervises and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in carrying out departmental objectives in a unit of a department.
• Extensive, daily supervision of animal care for compliance to the Federal Regulations and the NIH Guide.
• Manage 2 full-time staff members and 2 to 3 students.
• Manage all operations at all 12 animal facilities.
• Purchase and maintain pharmaceuticals and supplies.
• Compile billing for animal per diem, supplies, and animal orders.
• Serve as an active member of IACUC .
• Advise and assist PIs during protocol review process.
• In conjunction with the AV, conduct species specific training.
• Conduct training and orientation for new animal care staff.
• Provide technical assistance to PIs on research projects.
• Organized and complete quarterly swine bleeds for requalification and revalidation.
• Complete monthly rounds of all animal facilities that are reported to the IO, IACUC , AV and PIs.
• Provide authorization on all animal purchases through TechBuy.
• Serve as the technician, organizer, and preparer to the Attending Veterinarian on animal surgeries and procedures.
• Coordinate annual certification of all biological safety hoods and anesthesia vaporizers.
• Coordinate and assist the veterinarian when completing annual Coggins testing to all TTU horses.
• Oversee all active protocols.
• Prepare all approved protocol notebooks.
• Provide treatment to animals as needed.
• Observe animals to insure their health, comfort, and well-being.
• Provide daily feeding and watering of animals, including special diets when needed.
• Conduct cleaning and sanitation of animal rooms and animal care equipment.
• Oversee microbiological quality control of facilities and sentinel program.
• Oversight on maintenance of facility equipment such as autoclaves and cage washer.
Bachelor’s degree plus two years of job-related experience; OR a combination of education and/or experience to equal six years.
This is a Security Sensitive Level I Position: Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check and may be required to be fingerprinted.
• LATG License
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide the following with your application:
• Cover Letter
• Letter of Recommendation
Hourly Pay Range
15.38 - 25.96
Monthly Pay Range
2666.67 - 4500.00
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 18 months ago