The Unix Administrator maintains server hardware, stand-alone software application systems, and enterprise application systems. Investigates and resolves system and hardware matters of significance; researches, analyzes, isolates and resolves errors; assesses and updates systems and hardware as needed and in accordance with specified plans.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1.Follow Service Desk ticketing procedures in providing technical support to the client base.
2.Interacts with clients to resolve basic and advanced Service Desk issues, communicates with clients in a professional manner maintaining confidentiality.
3.Create and administer monitoring and alerting system(s) for server and supporting equipment.
4.Provides responses to internal clients in a timely manner.
5.Performs system troubleshooting remotely with clients.
6.Performs maintenance on software, hardware and peripherals.
7.Performs local backup tape rotations, assists remote sites with backup tape rotations.
8.Reviews and troubleshoots daily backup jobs for all backup servers.
9.Monitors backup jobs after hours and intercedes if necessary.
10.Performs file server configuration and administration.
11.Performs VMWare configuration and administration.
12.Performs UNIX/Linux Server configuration and administration.
13.Performs SAN configuration and administration
14.Ability to travel domestically and internationally as required (< 25%).
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
EDUCATION/WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum Education Required: Bachelor’s degree or greater in Management Information Systems, or comparable business experience with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience and at least four years of system/network administrator experience.
- Diverse business experience with ability to comprehend complex business requirements and identify, develop and implement technology solutions that enable the business and provide a strategic advantage.
- Excellent project management skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of storage technologies (NAS, DAS, SAN, Backup, Raid).
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of virtualization technologies.
- Sound working knowledge of network infrastructure and operations, including switching, routing, Ethernet, TCP/IP, remote access technologies.
- Knowledge of a call/Incident tracking software required
- Preferred knowledge of Oracle, Java, XML, Linux, Unix, Middleware.
- 5+ years in IT support roles such as systems engineering, system administration, database system administration, network administration, or desktop support.
- Able to promptly answer support related email, phone calls and other electronic communications
- Able to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to multitask.
- Must be able to work independently to solve problems and resolve issues
- Work in a team environment to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Consistently able to perform according to NR Core Value, Excellence – delivering value through performance, innovation and service quality.
- Consistently able to perform according to NR Core Value, Accountability – using good judgment and taking responsibility for our actions.
- Consistently able to perform according to NR Core Value, Integrity – acting honestly, ethically and responsibly in all aspects of our business.
- Consistently able to perform according to NR Core Value, Respect – dealing fairly with employees, customers, suppliers, and community.
- Consistently able to meet established goals, expectations, and responsibilities for the position.
Newpark Resources, Inc. - 7 months ago