The Unix System Administrator involves serving as the technical administrator for enterprise-level hardware, operating systems, and network management. Plans and coordinates the installation, configuration and testing of complex hardware, operating system and application software environments. Work involves enterprise computer systems and networks. Includes web systems administration.
• Applies advanced systems/infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex UNIX server-based communications and solutions.
• Proposes and implements highly complex system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system.
• Manages centralized UNIX-based computer servers and makes recommendations for purchase or upgrade of new computer hardware.
• Analyzes, acquires, installs and supports UNIX-based operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools.
• Conducts highly complex UNIX-based systems support activities.
• Initiates, plans, designs and implements networked systems.
• Executes security control to prevent hackers from infiltrating campus information.
• Maintains security systems for UNIX-based servers.
• Administers security policies to control access to systems. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• Interacts with senior internal and external personnel. May lead a team of systems/infrastructure professionals.
• Must be able to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner across the organization and at varying levels.
• Has knowledge, skills and abilities associated with problem identification and resolution.
• Has knowledge necessary to design, set-up, operate, and correct malfunctions involving application of technology systems.
• Requires knowledge of other areas of IT.
• Must be able to write administrative scripts or programs in at least one of these languages: UNIX Shell scripting (sh/bash/ksh/csh, etc.), Perl, Python and/or C/Java/Ruby.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
Annual salary range: $71,600 - $140,800
Salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This posting is for two openings.
These MSP positions are classified as Systems Administrator 4's.
This Manager and Senior Professional (MSP) position is governed by the terms and conditions in the Personnel Policies for Staff Member (PPSM). The current PPSM manual can be found at:
Certification in one or more of the following operating systems is desired, but not required:
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 or 6 Certification in one or more of the following operating systems is desired, but not required:
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 or 6
• Sun Solaris 10
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
University of California Berkeley - 13 months ago