The Authority is seeking a highly motivated Unix System Administrator Integration.
The Unix System Administrator will be responsible for daily systems management of all technical activities within Unix including operating system, application software, system hardware, benchmarking, and troubleshooting.
• Interacts with various Information Technology groups, vendors, business groups and end-users.
• Performs OS/Software installations and/or upgrades as required and document procedures to be passed to the Operations Group.
• Maintain all Unix core systems to include Sun/Solaris systems, LAN equipment, and RAID disk arrays.
• Administration of all local Unix systems.
• Performing software installations and upgrades to Unix systems and layered software packages.
• Scheduling installations and upgrades and maintain them in accordance with established Information Technology policies and procedures.
• Monitoring and tuning systems to achieve optimum level of performance.
• Ensuring Unix workstation/server data integrity by evaluating, implementing and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
• Ensuring data recovery by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
• Developing and promoting standard operating procedures.
• Conducting routine hardware and software audits of Unix workstations and server for compliance with established standards, policies, configuration guidelines and procedures.
• Developing and maintaining a comprehensive Unix hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
• Support media management through internal methods and procedures or through offsite storage and retrieval services.
• Deployment of all local applications and servers.
• Administration of Unix systems that support Oracle Databases and other mission critical applications.
• Analyzing, designing and developing the upgrade process for release of applications and servers.
• Researching and troubleshooting technical issues.
• Providing development, training and documentation for Tier I support personnel.
• Supporting the implementation of new products and technology.
• Managing the underlying infrastructure including databases, software applications, security, and any other technical issues.
• Performs other related duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the CIO.
• Four year college degree in Computer Information Science, Business or related field and 4 years of related experience with Unix administration (to include experience in technical leadership of system infrastructure and related project; or two years of college (minimum 60 credits) and 6 years of related experience with Unix administration (to include experience in technical leadership of system infrastructure and related project.
• Prefer at least 2 years of experience be associated with working as a senior Unix Administrator for a mission critical environment.
1. Must have a thorough understanding of the appropriate business functions and processes within the organization.
2. Must possess the ability to analyze, design, and create a wide variety of reports to enhance departments’ efficiencies using databases and other application software.
3. Working knowledge of Solaris.
4. Demonstrated working knowledge about most Unix commands and utilities such as job scheduling, backups and system utilization statistics.
5. Familiarity with fundamental networking/distributed computing environment concepts; can configure NFS, automounter, NIS, DNS, DHCP, and understands basic routing concepts and the TCP/IP protocol.
6. Knowledge of shell scripting or a programming language.
7. Possesses excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
8. Demonstrate advanced problem solving skills.
9. Demonstrate the ability to work with aggressive timetables and high expectations.
10. Detailed oriented, a self starter, work independently of supervision, have strong customer service orientation, and be a team contributor.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS:
1. The incumbent is considered an essential employee and is subject to being placed on call during hours and schedule identified by the Authority.
2. In the event that an offer is extended, the candidate will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination and drug screen.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
DC Water distributes drinking water and collects and treats wastewater for more than 600,000 residential, commercial and governmental...