Unix Systems Administrator
# of Openings
US - MD - Rockville
- Apply for this job online
- Email this job to a friend
More information about this job
An innovative and dynamic IT company is seeking an experienced Unix Systems Administrator with at least five years of hands-on experience in Solaris/Red Hat Systems, backup and storage administration, and administering and building Solaris/Red Hat high-end servers in world-class production datacenters.
The candidate will be responsible for supporting both internal and customer IT systems. This includes UNIX/Linux server maintenance, virtualization, backups, DNS administration, scripting and technical documentation.
Candidate will join an esteemed IT team which supports small to large IT environments for government and commercial customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical solutions and escalated support for non-routine, highly complex technical issues
- Administer Red Hat Enterprise 5 servers and maintain recent package levels for proper performance
- Install and administer Solaris 10 servers , configure zones, containers, Logical Domains (LDOMs) and assign resource pools
- Configure backup client on UNIX servers
- Administer OS scripts on application servers
- Conduct capacity planning reviews with management
- Develop and analyze highly complex system standards, thresholds and recommendations to maximize system performance
- Research current systems technologies and serve as subject matter expert on complex systems processes and procedures
- Provide assistance for the design, development and support of key Internet/extranet/intranet components
Education / Experience
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP), Solaris 10 System Adminstrator and/or Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE) ES 5 certifications desired
- Bachelors Degree with at least 5 years of applicable experience.
- Preferred majors and minors include Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Information Management & Technology
- Familiarity with Internet Technologies including TCP/IP, HTTP and DNS
- System Administration experience Solaris 10 and Red Hat ES5
- Values-based personality with the ability to work selflessly in a team environment
- Ability to document processes and work within a quality improvement environment
- Demonstrated working knowledge of web architectures including web and web application servers, encryption, n-tier development/development strategies, databases, security mechanisms, directories, etc.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, communication and written skills
- Ability to maintain positive and healthy relationships with all project team members and customers
- Understanding of server, application and network security hardening and validation techniques
- Hands on experience with Internet and networking infrastructure design and implementation techniques
- Hands on experience Internet and networking infrastructure products such as servers, switches, firewalls and routers
- Familiarity with technologies such as web servers, browsers, Internet performance tools, search engines, directory services, switching technologies and Internet security services.
Working at GNSI
We offer our employees comprehensive benefits that respond to their growing needs. From the basics in health care to programs that help manage life’s little turns, some of our benefits include
And Much More. Please click on the following link for a full list of benefits .
- Medical Benefits, Prescription Drug Plan, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical/Dental/Vision and Dependent Care
- Company Paid Life/AD&D, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match
- Roth 401(k)
- Paid Time Off
We believe it is equally important to maintain a work environment that encourages …fun!
Some recent Company Sponsored Events
Wii Competitions (bowling, tennis, and golf)
Laser Tag Celebration Event
Murder Mystery Theatre Event
Company Holiday Celebrations
At GNSI, our people are our most important competitive advantage. We know that our highly skilled work force is vital to our present and future success.
GNSI’s commitment to diversity permeates our entire organization, which encourage us to show respect for, and appreciate the value of, all individuals and their unique backgrounds, experiences, styles, approaches and ideas. The diversity of our people has been and will continue to be one of the keys to GNSI’s success.
Local applicants please (relocation expenses are not included). No faxes or calls. Resumes must be submitted as a Word document or PDF. Thank you!
Go back to the welcome page
Need further assistance?
Applicant Tracking Software
GlobalNet Services Inc. - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard -