Central City Concern is pathways to self-sufficiency through active intervention in homelessness. CCC provides many services, such as chemical dependency treatment, employment services, housing, medical services, and other related services, to a diverse population. As an agency deeply rooted in recovery we have a keen interest in promoting and maintaining a Drug & Alcohol-Free Workplace. A drug and alcohol-free workplace is essential in supporting individuals in recovery, and in providing a safe, healthy, and productive environment for employees. As part of our policy and commitment to a drug and alcohol-free workplace we conduct post-offer, pre-employment drug screens.
TITLE: Urgent Care Nurse – 75%
DEPARTMENT: Old Town Clinic
REPORTS TO: Clinical Nurse Manager
SALARY: Depending on Experience
SHIFT: Monday through Friday, 4:30pm to 9:30pm AND
SUMMARY: The Urgent Care Nurse provides nursing and clinical support as delegated by Old Town Clinic providers, including the Urgent Care Nurse Practitioner. Works under the direct supervision of the Urgent Care Nurse Practitioner during Old Town Clinic’s newly launched Extended Hours/Urgent Care Clinic ,. Assists in the smooth operation of Urgent Care by performing essential duties, and contributes to the provision of quality medical and nursing care to Old Town Clinic and Urgent Care patients, clients and their family.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:1. Nursing care:
2. Client Care:
- Sees patients who need nursing clinical interventions as dictated by their chief complaint as well as care plans.
- Provides initial assessment, determines chief complaint, and insures that patients meet the established criteria for provision urgent care services.
- When possible provides screening and comprehensive assessment of on-going health issues (e.g. HIV, depression, diabetes, asthma, wound and pain management, and other chronic diseases.)
- Completes prescribed care and orders as necessary, documenting using established nursing process whilst complying with standards of care.
- Assure completion of referrals and coordinate care with clinical specialists.
- Recommends changes to the medications and medical care plan as needed, changes the nursing care plan as progress dictates.
- Performs basic patient observation including vital signs and reports significant changes in patient condition.
- Assesses clients needs, telephone response for urgent and non-urgent medical information.
- Provides instruction, training, and health information on self care and health maintenance as per the clients care plan.
- Respond to emergency events in the clinic.
- Administer medical treatments such as cleaning and dressing wounds, ear irrigations, suture removal, catheterizations, fluoride treatments, IV medication administration, as well as wound care and splinting
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Directs and assigns the care of individuals to members of the team based on the scope of practice and clinical skills needed by the patients.
- Assures client follow-up as needed for abnormal labs, specialty/referral reports, clinical treatment and prescriptions, etc.
- Teaches and observes team members specific clinical tasks of client care.
- Provides expertise and oversight for staff to which clinical care duties are assigned.
- Checks for competencies of team members as needed.
- Insures clinic and exam rooms are cleaned between visits and at the end of clinic session
- Insures med/surgery supplies are restocked as necessary.
1. Working knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of urgent care and clinic patient care
2. Ability to anticipate patient and provider needs
3. Working knowledge in how to access, interpret and apply computerized client data information
4. Working knowledge of programs and services available to clients
5. Ability to effectively screen and gather required information in a professional, culturally competent and customer service oriented manner
6. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
7. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
8. Ability to be flexible and manage multiple priorities
9. Ability to maintain composure and work objectively with clients who may be hostile or verbally abusive
1. Successful Completion of a course of accredited study that leads to the AD, or BS or AA degree in Nursing from OSBN or State Board approved course.
2. Current RN license in the State of Oregon.
3. 1 year experience in an emergency department, urgent care or equivalent setting.
4. Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, TB Test, and background check.
5. If a recovering chemically dependent person must be in a program of recovery and able to provide documentation of sobriety a minimum of two years.
6. Must have the physical ability to bend, stoop, twist, kneel, reach, squat, pull and lift heavy clients or objects.
7. Must be able to climb stairs several times a day.
8. Must adhere to agency’s non-discrimination policies.
9. Ability to effectively interact with co-workers and clients with diverse ethnic backgrounds, religious views, political affiliation, cultural backgrounds, life-styles and sexual orientations, and treat individuals with respect and dignity.
Qualified applicants must submit a Central City Concern employment application to be considered for this position which can be obtained at www.centralcityconcern.org. Applicants may include a cover letter and resume. Apply by mail or fax (503-445-8089), or in person at Central City Concern, 232 NW Sixth Avenue, Portland, OR 97209. Application email: email@example.com. Current CCC employees must submit an Internal Employment Application, available at the main office. More information at www.centralcityconcern.org.
Date Open: 5-18-2012 Date Closed: 5-29-2012
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Reference # 12-88