Dell Support Services is a mature, profitable, multi-billion business that is a key area of growth for Dell. Dell is committed to greatly increasing investment and revenue and Usability Engineering will be a key contributor of the overall strategy for delivering on these revenue goals. To support the strong business growth, we are expanding our team. The Global Services and Delivery Product Group team is responsible for creating and enhancing support services products and capabilities provided globally through a variety of channels including Dell.com, Dell sales, retail stores, and other partnerships. Usability Engineering is the voice of the user and in this role will be responsible for delivering usable (effective, efficient, satisfying, & safe) interface designs across SW & HW products applying a user-centered, iterative design process.
· Collects behavioral data from end users & customers to identify problems, and/or insights that impact product design and development
· Research, Interaction and User-Center Design, Visual Design/Image Asset Creation
· Employs a broad range of data collection and analytical techniques such as Survey construction/analysis, UI prototype development, usability testing, focus group facilitation, and qualitative/observational methods, ethnography, and quantitative statistical data analysis.
· Translates data into usable design solutions and leverages results to spark focused design efforts. Integrates Human Factors Engineering principles to the design & development process, accounting for perceptual, physical, and cognitive abilities in the usage of products & services.
· Produces specifications, standards, user requirements, as applied to Product Design and Development.
· Represents the needs & preferences of the end user throughout the design and development process.
· Has broad accountability of the user experience, from initial set-up/ install (out of box experience) through the product lifecycle.
· Defines & executes the necessary behavioral studies to guide the design process (e.g., yielding both qualitative and quantitative data).
· Performs a variety of data analysis techniques to surface insights that are actionable and can be applied to the design process.
· Works with cross-functional development teams to design products (Engineering, Marketing, Quality,etc).
· Delivers the necessary artifacts to capture the intended user experience to implementation/engineering entities (e.g., specifications, guidelines, prototypes, UI designs, etc).
· Presents test results to development teams and executive leadership to guide and drive the business in accordance to corporate strategies.
· 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
· 4+ years leadership experience preferred.
· Strong understanding of Human Factor issues and principles as they are applied to the design and development process.
· Strong ability to define, execute, analyze, interpret & or sponsor User research activities on product design, usage, & usability in laboratory or field settings using a broad range of quantitative and qualitative data collection techniques - and apply findings to drive product design in accordance to business strategy.
· Understands when to engage with colleagues in order to facilitate communication, vet concepts/ideas, gather input, & drive design. Contributes valuable content to team-efforts and delivers meaningful insights.
· Strong ability to identify potential product weakness and be able to provide design guidance and recommendations for improvements to subsequent redesigns.
· Assesses the dynamics of the problem and establishes a strategy / methodology to solve it. Understands the dependencies with EDG and outside of EDG/PG and can negotiate accordingly.
· Owns solution to all issues vendors are working on.
· Establishes interaction plans and control mechanisms for vendors & assesses progress against plans.
· Able to effectively communicate with teams beyond Dell (suppliers, vendors) to close project issues. Can effectively present project issues and ensure alignment with core teams and cross functional management in a diplomatic matter.
· Validates and refines ambiguous expectations with some coaching. Understands the importance of expectations. Demonstrates a sense of ownership for their overall function/discipline beyond project(s) they are assigned. Willing to go outside their own comfort zone to achieve team goals.
· Identifies and executes tasks independently. Demonstrates self-awareness of technical competencies and weaknesses, and develops a professional development plans to round-out breadth & depth of knowledge base. Capable of interpreting & applying empirical data to design efforts. Capable of dissecting high-level plans to individual tasks necessary to execute on a project.
· Undergraduate degree and 6-8 years relevant experience or Graduate degree and 4-6 years relevant experience.
Life At Dell
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Since 1985, Dell has played a critical role in enabling more affordable and accessible technology around the world. As an end-to-end...