We are seeking a forward thinking, experienced User Experience Director to lead our team of User Experience Designers in creating powerful, consumer-focused, digital experiences across multiple devices within Synacor’s product suite. The UX Director will provide strategic and tactical insight while defining industry-leading practices including user research and analysis, interaction design, and usability. This is a hands-on position that requires proven leadership, accountability, and strong contributions to projects on a daily basis while helping to evangelize a culture of user-focused design throughout the organization. Finally, as the UX Director, you will execute by mentoring your team, developing and recruiting top talent and establishing a culture of accountability that focuses on driving results for the business through exceptional design and interaction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Define and improve the toolsets, processes and deliverables for all aspects of the UX/product design process including research, interaction/visual design, information architecture and testing
• Drive frequent iteration and evolution of design solutions for current and future products
• Drive decisions for the user experience with cross functional engineering and product teams, and lead executive design reviews leveraging data and customer insight
• Leverage external research and trends for potential opportunities to consider or implement
• Work closely with clients to define needs, requirements, and goals for success, translating these into excellent user experiences
• Suggest, plan and conduct appropriate user research via a variety of techniques including usability testing, online surveys, interviews, prototyping and card sorting
• Devise solutions that balance user goals and business goals while fitting within the constraints of brand, time, budget, and technology
This candidate can work out of our Boston, MA office with 80% travel to our Buffalo, NY office.
What you’ll need to bring to the table:
• BA required, MA preferred in Graphic / Interactive Design, Computer Science or related discipline. In lieu of degree, 10+ years of relevant experience
• Experience as a Director level authority at a growth-oriented creative or interactive company
• Proven ability to deliver high quality, user centered products to customers/stakeholders in a collaborative environment
• Ability to lead a team’s budget, resource time, and produce a high quality of work while under pressures and with strict deadlines
• Solid client (internal & external) relationship skills
• Ability to thrive in a rapid paced environment on multiple projects in a scrappy, start-up atmosphere
• Great at rallying designers to do the best work of their career
• Self-driven, fearless interest and curiosity in gadgets, inventions and world-changing leaps in technology, along with a healthy disrespect for the impossible
• Experience in designing across multiple devices, screen sizes and pixel densities
• Experience leading the design, development and execution of user research and usability testing
What we’ll bring to the table:
• 100% Company paid benefits (health, dental, vision) for all employees and eligible dependents
• Competitive compensation package, including stock option grants (for eligible positions)
• Award winning company culture
• Casual dress and flexible environment
• Generous paid time off
• 25 cent vending machines
• Free Spot coffee, popcorn and cappuccino
• Monthly company connections (get to know your co-workers)
• The opportunity to make a difference!
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending machines. Jeans and t-shirts are typical office attire, even for the executives. Teamwork is an everyday occurrence, and is made easy with our new open workspaces. Our leadership team understands that the best results come from collaboration, so we hire the best and brightest and then let them do what they do best: create cutting-edge products and provide exemplary customer service. Synacor's headquarters is located along Buffalo's waterfront in the Erie Basin Marina. Taking a few minutes to enjoy the serenity of nature is as easy as walking 1,000 feet or so to the water. We even have a lakefront gazebo with wi-fi connection! And if that’s not enough, Synacor pays 100% of health care premiums for employees AND dependents, offers stock option participation, a healthy bonus potential and a very generous paid time off policy. Working with some of the largest cable, telecom and satellite providers, Synacor’s products and online services reach over 25 million high-speed Internet subscribers worldwide. We are looking for great people to join our team and be given the freedom to do the work they were hired to do.
Synacor - 16 months ago
Synacor is not your typical 9 to 5 workplace. Our award winning culture doesn’t stop at flexible work hours and 25 cent vending...