• Drive end-user research through contextual inquiry, interviews, and design reviews with teachers, students, and administrators.
• Inform concept development through persona and scenario development and ideation sessions.
• Influence product managers and software development managers to use research findings and other sources to develop, refine, and prioritize product requirements.
• Manage recruitment activities for user research participants including: developing criteria, creating screeners, connecting with potential participants, tracking status, preparing materials, and arranging for incentives.
• Advocate for the end user in design and development, while working with product managers, business analysts, UI designers, and developers.
• Know how and when to leverage research and testing to inform design decisions. Collaborate on mockups, wire frames, and clickable prototypes for rapid, iterative testing and design improvement. Continue testing during development.
• Provide leadership in combining user goals and business goals to create an exceptional user experience.
• 5+ years as a key member of a user-experience design team participating in the complete product development lifecycle of successfully launched digital products or applications
• Knowledge and experience in ethnographic user research (contextual inquiry preferred), usability, and UX design methods with a focus on human-computer interaction for digital products.
• Direct knowledge and experience of K-6, as a user researcher, an educator, or other relevant professional role
• Experience working with end-users, customers, product management, and developers. Communicate very well verbally and enjoy conversing with people.
• Expertise working in iterative design and research cycles in conjunction with Agile development.
• Clear understanding of usability and web standards
• Degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, HCI, Psychology, Anthropology, Education, or equivalent discipline (or document equivalent academic plus professional experience)
• User-experience portfolio showing examples of research strategy, design direction, creative process, or equivalent user-experience accomplishment
Familiarity with markets in education is a plus. Familiarity with instructional design is a plus.