The Eugene Water & Electric Board is currently seeking a Utility Mechanic Trainee to perform a variety of construction and maintenance tasks in our Water Construction section. These duties include:
Installing water, electric, telephone, TV, and steam facilities
Operating equipment and tools such as dump trucks, backhoes, pavement breakers, vibroplates, dry and wet tapping machines, and saws
Maintaining and repairing water, electric, and steam facilities
Activities such as placing concrete, brush clearing, flagging traffic, repairing tools and cleaning construction sites
We are seeking candidates at all levels of the position, from 1st Step Trainee to Journey level and will place the selected candidate appropriately in the range depending on education and experience.
This position requires a supplemental questionnaire. Applications submitted without the required questionnaire will not be considered.
Why This Job:
Utility Mechanics at EWEB will have the opportunity to work in various, diverse and challenging job environments while being part of a highly functioning team with a stable organization. If you have a safe driving record, are committed to maintaining a safe work environment, have the ability and desire to communicate respectfully with all EWEB customers, employees and vendors, and are interested in a new opportunity at one of the best publicly owned water utilities in the nation, then this may be the job for you!
EWEB offers employees a unique working culture where public service is combined with state-of-the-art technology. Our employees work in a high-energy environment where creativity, innovation, involvement, teamwork and diversity are supported and encouraged. Employees have the opportunity to learn and grow, including training on the latest technology and a tuition reimbursement program. EWEB is also committed to providing a work environment conducive to the safety and health of its employees, and offers great benefits, including health care, vacation and sick leave, pension, holidays, and an on-site fitness center.
Minimum Training and Experience Required:
Requirements As A Qualification & Progression
- Experience: Four years of underground utilities installation and maintenance, including heavy equipment operation. Preferred that two of the four years experience in water distribution system installation and/or maintenance.
- Education and/or training: High school graduation or equivalent.
- Oregon driver license: Yes Type: Class A CDL
- Professional license or registration: None
- Post-offer criminal record check required: Yes
- Safety Sensitive Position: Yes
- Next step in normal progression: None
- Apprenticeship or other education/training required as a condition of employment, progression or advancement: Continuation of employment is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the Oregon State certification in Water Distribution, Grade WDI, within 18 months; obtain a First Aid/CPR card.
Supervisory responsibility: None # of employees: 0 Titles supervised by this position: None Supervision exercised over this position: Direct Supervised by: Construction Supervisor Type and frequency of personal contact required (general public, organizations, EWEB employees): Daily contact with EWEB employees and the general public. Equipment, tools, machines, motor vehicles, etc., operated on the job: Hand tools, backhoe, trencher, compressor, dump truck and tapping, drilling, boring and push machines. Work Schedule: 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, Shift: Monday-Friday, Days, Other: Emergency call-out required. Physical activities (exertion, environmental conditions, risks, safety, etc.): Work outside in all types of weather; physical effort is required to perform heavy manual labor and to move heavy tools and equipment; work in confined spaces.