Oxbow Calcining LLC, located in Port Arthur, TX is seeking a Utility Operator:
OBJECTIVE OF POSITION
Under the general supervision of the department supervisor, the Utility Operator is responsible for assisting the senior operator in the operation of the kilns to ensure maximum contributions to the safety, quality, and productivity of the plant.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Collect calcined coke samples for quality control analysis. Perform special collection and analysis as needed.
2. Prepare calcined coke samples for real density test.
3. Routinely check conveyors, motors, gears, trunnions, and other moving equipment in work areas to ensure proper operation. Promptly report malfunctioning equipment to the senior operator.
4. Periodically lubricate moving parts on the kilns and coolers.
5. Clean up spillage and reclaim uncontaminated coke.
6. Operate all mobile equipment required to perform job duties and check oil, water, battery and fuel.
7. Observe calcining operations in the course of performing job duties and promptly report unusual happenings to the senior operator.
8. Make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment. Assist maintenance personnel on an as-needed basis in the repair and adjustment of equipment.
9. Notify senior operator whenever leaving work area.
10. Familiarity with calcining process and material flow.
11. Cross train as senior operator and relieves the senior operator as needed.
12. Knowledge of the following systems:
a. Calcined coke and raw coke conveyor system
b. Cooler exhaust system
c. Damper cooler water piping and flow system
d. Flame safeguard system
e. Air and gas system
f. Dedusting piping spray system
g. Water piping system to coolers and bearing boxes
13. Notify senior operator if excessive stack emissions are observed.
14. Maintain emergency equipment, such as flashlight, rain suit, and kiln drive bolts, for possible use during a storm.
15. Maintain availability when on standby during off-duty hours.
16. Additional work assignments will be made which will offer the opportunity for the employee to demonstrate other skills or to gain experience in other job classifications. All assignments will be made in a manner which will improve the efficiency of the plant operations and support teamwork, while offering the employee interesting and challenging work assignments.
1. Safety of Personnel and Physical Assets
A. Ensure that the work areas, equipment, and work practices are in compliance with the regulatory codes, statues, and company requirements.
B. Report all injuries, regardless of seriousness, immediately to the supervisor.
C. Advise the supervisor on matters relating to the improvement and the continued safe functioning of plant equipment and facilities.
D. Assist in the development of written safety procedures prepared for jobs performed in the Material Handling Department.
2. Product Quality
A. Follow ISO procedures to complete duties as required by the job specification.
B. Advise the supervisor on matters relating to the improvement and maintenance of coke quality and workmanship.
3. Efficiency and Cost Control
A. Make recommendations whenever possible regarding potential improvements in operation or maintenance of plant facilities through changes and modifications in material, equipment, procedures and schedules.
B. Perform work in efficient manner.
4. Personnel and Organization
A. Ensure compliance with safety, personnel, timekeeping, payroll, attendance and other plant procedures or guidelines.
B. Maintain communications with the supervisor and coworkers on matters concerning daily activities and concerns.
The Utility Operator should establish and maintain good relationships with all people with whom he/she comes into contact with inside the plant.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma
Oxbow is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Oxbow Carbon - 23 months ago