Constructs, repairs, and services water or sewer lines within the guidelines of supervisory instructions, accepted work practices, and Augusta-Richmond County and department rules and procedures. Reports to assigned manager or other designated person and works with co-workers to provide maintenance support.
PRINICIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform utility related duties which may include installing pipe, performing service taps, repairing utility lines and meters, repair and maintain hydrants and valves, and adjusting assets to grade.
- Assist in preventive maintenance tasks as assigned by supervision.
- Maintain vehicles and equipment
- Operate Machinery with moving parts
- Perform flagman duties around work sites
- Investigate water pressure complaints and answer emergency service calls
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Assist assigned supervisor in laying pipe, performing service taps, or other utility related functions
- Perform preventive maintenance functions as directed by supervision
- Perform vehicle maintenance activities as directed by supervision
- Perform grounds keeping and inventory activities as directed
High School diploma, GED, or higher level of education
2+ years in similar position or sufficient experience to perform principal duties and responsibilities usually associated with completion of apprenticeship/internship.
KNOWLEDGE,SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Moderate knowledge of water and sewer line construction and repair techniques Familiarity with Augusta-Richmond County and departmental policies and procedures.
Entry level skill in the repair and construction of water and sewer lines.
Moderate skill in using standard tools, power tools, and operating machinery
Demonstrated ability to work independently
Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Possess or have ability to obtain a valid state operator / driver’s license for the type vehicle or equipment operated
Depending upon area of assignment:
Positions in this class typically require: walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Work is performed in a field setting.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.