The VP of Corporate Development position is charged accelerating the execution of the strategy of the company through M&A. The position will help identify and assess strategic opportunities and build relationships with emerging and established companies in the auction, real estate and technology markets. This position is highly visible and requires frequent interaction with all executive staff and business leaders of the organization.
- Establish Merger and Acquisition (M&A) strategy by listing areas in the company that are either gaps that should be filled with M&A or opportunities to accelerate our execution in a particular area.
- Identify opportunities for acceleration of important areas in the business or fill gaps that currently exist in our business.
- Determine the priority of criteria we would use to evaluate companies to fill these gaps.
- List all companies that could help Auction in each of the major areas of interest.
- Contact all companies to learn about the area more and determine quality of the company and the viability of it being acquired by Auction.
- Define and negotiate transaction terms.
- Lead and conduct due diligence on potential acquisition targets.
- Prepare and assess financial, qualitative and valuation analyses.
- Established the key value drivers to make an acquisition successful.
- Establish an integration plan that provides the highest probability of successfully realizing the value drivers.
- Research adjacent market opportunities, emerging technologies, and complementary products or technologies, and new geographies.
- Prepare market analyses and make recommendations to pursue new areas.
- Lead internal brainstorm sessions on “go” opportunities to find ways to differentiate our offerings.
- Analyzing trends, including competitive and market changes and propose how M&A strategy should change in response to changing competitive and market changes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including experience in consensus building and creating highly effective presentations to senior management.
- Strong organizational, project management , and execution skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions while maintaining professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment; ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including a) market research and data gathering, b) ability to think/conceptualize independently and creatively, c) ability to build complex financial models and interpret the results, d) quality control and attention to detail, and e) business judgment and ability to synthesize, analyze and extract implications.
- Possess knowledge of best practices in corporate transaction execution and integration, and help implement processes that are sustainable, repeatable and scalable.
- Contract law.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters Degree or Juris Doctorate preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience running the corporate development function of a large business; alternatively, proven success in business development or proven success in a professional organization that concentrates in M&A.