Harman International Industries, Inc. is the worldwide leader in the manufacture of high-quality, high-fidelity audio and electronic products for automotive, consumer and professional use. For more than 50 years, our legendary brands have taken a leading role in the creation and innovation of progressive technologies, from the world's first car radio in 1948 to today's most revolutionary infotainment systems.
Requisition Number: MKTG1619
Job Title: VP, Marketing
Area of Interest: Marketing
Career Level: Executive (VP, SVP, etc.)
Position Type: Full Time - Regular
State / Province: Connecticut
Country: United States Company Summary:
HARMAN is the parent company behind an array of legendary brands that includes Harman Kardon®, JBL®, Mark Levinson® and Infinity®. We are a leading global provider of premium audio and infotainment solutions, engaging customers around the home, in the car and on the go. Our family of distinguished brands enjoys a legacy spanning more than 60 years of leading-edge innovation and premium quality. Our customers include the top names in entertainment, automotive and venue design - linked by a common passion for high-fidelity sound and multimedia. We operate worldwide through a network of more than 12,000 talented employees and best-in-class channel partners, positioned to serve both the emerging and established markets. Many among our team began their careers on the stage or in the recording studio, bringing their personal experience as customers to the design and production of innovative new audio technologies.
We develop and deliver solutions that embrace innovation, superior value and a highly-satisfying customer experience. We achieve this by fostering a culture of employee empowerment and creativity, blended with integrity and accountability. We are committed to continuous improvement in delivery new value to our investors and every HARMAN stakeholder.
Job Title: Vice President, Marketing
Department: Lifestyle Division
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises direct & indirect employees in product marketing, regional brand & trade marketing, product design, brand & packaging design services and other team members as assigned.
The VP, Marketing is responsible for leading the development and execution of a compelling product marketing and marketing communications strategy that supports our aggressive business growth goals, while building the long-term brand equity for our core brands in the Harman Lifestyle Division. This role will be focused initially on running the global marketing function for our Consumer Electronics business to ensure that this business meets its objectives around sales growth, profitability and visibility of our brands and products in the global marketplace. Our major product brands - JBL, Harman Kardon, Mark Levinson, and Infinity are the backbone of our products and this position will have significant influence over the global product strategy for these brands and products. In addition, the VP, Marketing will also be responsible for creating integration strategies and building marketing plans that bridge the marketing efforts of our CE business & brands across our other main business focused on the automotive audio industry and other smaller operating businesses.
- Product Line Strategy - Develop an overall product line strategy that focuses product lines on the greatest opportunities for Harman. Development of strategy will require extensive market analysis combined with an analysis of category profitability with our leaders of product marketing. Success in product line strategy will result in a tighter, more focused line that targets the categories and global regions providing greatest opportunity for success.
- Brand Strategy (product focused) - Develop and manage a set of innovation principles for each brand that is consistent with the brand's DNA. This will include design principles, usability requirements, feature set expectations and sound quality requirements.
- Innovation Process - Develop and execute an annual upfront innovation process that drives consumer-driven product innovation. This will include collecting and synthesizing consumer and customer insights, creating product concepts, and ultimately validating these concepts with consumers, customers and internal sales team. This upfront process will ultimately define the future product lines for our core brands.
- Marketing Plans and Budgets - Deliver comprehensive marketing plans with fully integrated tactics (advertising, electronic marketing, product & trade marketing and public relations), budgets timelines and critical measurement components. Collaborate with our regional sales team to also jointly develop regional marketing plan and budgets to support our unique regional go to market plans. All plans should be built to ultimately build our core brands - JBL, Harman Kardon, Infinity and Mark Levinson - across the consumer electronics and automotive space.
- Market Analysis - Create a dashboard that creates a consistent set of metrics to measure success across all product categories. This will include basic measures such as units, revenue and margin achievement, as well as competitive benchmarking in terms of product features and market share. Indentify, interpret, and capitalize on marketing trends to drive product innovation and business growth.
- Consumer products marketing experience - 10-15 years experience in broad marketing, consumer marketing, and product marketing roles, preferably in roles that involve upfront product innovation processes.
- Global marketing experience - Experience building and driving marketing campaigns in key Harman regions around the world which include Brazil, Russia, India, China, Asia Pac, North America and Europe.
- Retail account experience - Experience working with major global accounts like Wal-Mart, Media Markt, Best Buy, Future Shop, Fnac, Gome, Croma, etc.
- Audio experience is a plus - Preferably in consumer electronics audio space, but any audio experience is a plus.
- Sales experience is a plus - Preferably related to a retail consumer business, buyer, or sales professional.
- Product Innovation & Development experience is a plus - Any past experience in product innovation and development is a big plus, provided candidate has shown successful transition to broader global marketing leadership positions.
- BS Degree is required, MBA preferred
- Strategically and operationally strong - Ability to synthesize complex information into a simple strategy and then execute against this strategy.
- Strong consumer products orientation - Keen understanding of consumer wants and needs that can be effectively applied to creating market-winning products.
- Solid planning and organization skills - Ability to manage complex projects and schedules necessary with global product development.
- Good collaboration skills - Ability to effectively collaborate with teams around the world and with leading agencies to drive the best thinking and implementation of marketing ideas.
- Demonstrated creativity and out-of-the box thinking - Constantly pushing new ideas to drive the brands forward.
- Inspirational leadership - Capable of leading global teams through inspired leadership and strong communication skills.
- Problem solving ability - Ability to solve open-ended problems common in marketing where many answers exist to the same problem.
- Business acumen - Solid business and financial background that keeps ROI focus front and center in all projects.
- Willingness to travel 30%+ of the time.
- Willingness to work in our global HQ office in Stamford, CT
- Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
Harman International - 2 years ago
Headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut, HARMAN (NYSE:HAR) designs, manufactures and markets premier audio, visual, infotainment and...