Smarter Travel Media, Vice President of Marketing
Smarter Travel Media is part of the TripAdvisor Media Group and is a leader in the growing online travel market. We offer consumers a portfolio of media and ecommerce travel sites that provide great ways for travelers to save money on their trips. As a company, we are a small group of passionate professionals with the energy and speed of a start-up and the stability of a profitable enterprise.
Reporting to the General Manager and a member of the management team, the VP of Marketing for Smarter Travel Media will lead STM’s marketing disciplines including brand, design, copy, PR, CRM, and SEM. You will be asked to use your extensive web marketing knowledge and experience to grow STM’s portfolio of brands including SniqueAway, BookingBuddy, Airfarewatchdog, SmarterTravel, and others. STM sites are already some of the most visited travel sites in the US, focused on helping travelers find the right trip at the right price.
Strategic vision and strong communication and relationship-building are only part of what will determine success in this role---success will also be measured on achieving these goals on an entrepreneurial (read: not huge) budget—and measuring the success of these goals on a regular basis. We’re looking for someone who can make the connections between user needs, our assets and attributes, and the right messages and methods to get our brands out there. Our ideal candidate has worked in a fast-paced, metrics-focused environment to build successful and memorable web brands without a significant offline branding budget.
- Leading, motivating, and mentoring the evolving marketing team to develop, implement, and measure marketing strategies and initiatives
- Driving strategic direction and execution for all aspects of marketing including online direct response marketing, SEM, public relations, email, and targeted brand-building initiatives
- Building awareness for STM’s brands with creative, low-cost methods
- Creating and owning business metrics and goals to determine what will move the needle
In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies and skill sets:
- Relevant experience as a marketing professional, primarily in the consumer-facing internet space with a career mix of start-ups and highly recognized consumer brands known for outstanding, creative, and low-cost marketing strategies
- Proven ability to leverage analytics to inform and influence decision-making
- Experience with direct to consumer marketing
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high growth, product driven environment
- Enthusiasm to develop new insights into situations and apply innovative solutions to make organizational improvements while encouraging creative thinking and innovation
- Entrepreneurial and analytical; effective at managing change in a fast-moving and constantly evolving business
- MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Must have experience marketing on social networks and have a personal Facebook account.
- Ability to be creative, take initiative and take risks and a commitment to ‘speed wins’ philosophy
- Recognizes own strengths and weaknesses
- Ability to understand and drive organizational change; able to effectively develop strategic business objectives and influence others
- Aptitude for making organizational improvements to create and implement new cutting edge initiatives
- Collaborative; able build trusting relationships and deliver projects on time and within budget
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to display excellent judgment through sound, well informed decision-making
- Ability to develop strategies using the most effective technology
- Ability to respond appropriately to needs, feelings, and capabilities of different people
- Capacity to guide others toward goals and ability to coach and mentor employees
- Understands and utilizes metrics relevant to role
- Can express facts and ideas in a clear, convincing and organized manner
- Capability and willingness to recruit, develop, and retain a high quality diverse team
- Can partner with other departments and varying levels of staff and management
- Ability to communicate effectively and set appropriate expectations
- Takes direction and effectively leads projects and people to achieve department/company goals