Job Title: VP, Member Value & Strategy
Department: Innovations & Business Development
Reports To: SVP, Innovation & Business Development
Summary of Position:
This position will be responsible for the development of member acquisition and retention strategy and execution to generate budgeted revenue or above and increase overall dues revenue generation to support the mission and goals of the organization. Provide leadership, coaching and professional development opportunities for Member Value & Strategy staff. Leads and manages relationships with key industry operators and allied members. This position will handle member relations and membership issues across diverse geographies, audiences and issues. This position is responsible for growing and improving membership outreach, recruitment, retention, service and dues-related activities of NRA’s member companies. The VP of Member Value & Strategy develops the strategy and membership value proposition for the group. Interacts with senior executives of member firms to determine needs and required actions to provide resolution of these issues.
- Works closely with the Senior VP of Innovation & Business Development in creating overall member strategy.
- Embodies the core competencies and values of the Association at all times and positively promotes the Association’s culture.
- Displays ethical bearing and decision making at all times and is held up as an example of what the Association stands for.
- Personifies an executive presence, a dynamic professional style and the ability to inspire confidence to all levels of the organization and with external constituencies.
- Leads the Member Value & Strategy team in accomplishing the Association’s mission, vision, and goals.
- Provides a high level/expert advice on issues/problems; inaccurate interpretation or advice at this level is likely to have significant and long term impact.
- Directs and provides strategies and leadership for the Member Value & Strategy team to accomplish annual goals and objectives and support the business and mission related activities of the organization. Responsible for development of effective budgets, plans, strategic goals and the performance against budget and plan (for both revenue and expenses) and achievement of department goals.
- Working in a team environment, assumes the leadership role in developing and implementing short and long-term strategies to increase member sales, account penetration and positioning through cultivating positive business relationships.
- Participate in senior level strategic planning to help provide strategic direction to the organization. Develop long-range plans for member growth and engagement along with Senior Management.
- Responsible for engagement and morale of his/her team, and ensures that strong positive relationships are developed with other departments, Board members, state association executives and staff, and other stakeholders.
- Development and Execution of strategies and actions building and achieving membership value proposition that creates loyalty among a diverse and involved membership base.
- Partner with NRA Solutions sales team to coordinate membership recruitment efforts, identify market segments and prospective members, develop recruitment sales strategy, and monitor and modify sales management to achieve targeted levels of members.
- Partner with NRA Convention sales team to coordinate allied membership recruitment efforts, identify market segments and prospective members, develop recruitment sales strategy, and monitor and modify sales management to achieve targeted levels of members.
- Reviews and evaluates key metrics and trends to assess progress and identify opportunities related to member growth and engagement.
- Persuasively communicates complex concepts and programs at the highest levels internally and externally, to all constituents and stakeholders.
- Interacts with senior executives of member firms to determine their needs and leads critical functions within this top tier association.
- Builds robust and collaborative internal and external relationships to achieve Association’s priorities.
- Delivers new meaningful financial commitments related to membership sales.
- Responsible for meeting the Association’s membership goals (recruitment, retention, loyalty, satisfaction), which also involves sharing membership with the State Restaurant Association’s (SRAs).
- Plans and implements membership renewal/retention efforts, including design, timing and frequency of renewal notices, telephone and personal contact activities, etc.
- Oversees member marketing efforts in partnership with marketing team. Constantly promotes membership and programs.
- Review and evaluate membership statistics. Identifies trends in recruitment and retention.
- Responsible for the Association’s membership benefits plan, articulation of the member value proposition, consistently evaluates NRA benefits to each member classification, and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Administers dues collection and generation. Implements dues audit program to ensure integrity of dues structure.
- Initiates chain member retention/customer satisfaction campaigns and other member surveys.
- Develops, standardizes and enforces NRA policies on membership, including dues structure, membership categories, and member benefits.
- Responsible for selecting, managing, training, and evaluating membership staff.
- Leverages key strategic relationships and partnerships. Takes a proactive role in building commitment to strategic direction and leading others to embrace these partnerships.
- Provides communication to SRAs and the board while educating them on NRA benefit services and creates efficiencies in service levels.
- Develops and verifies maintenance of database for existing and potential operator and allied members.
1. Essential Use of Following Tools:
2. Essential Training/Certifications:
- Minimum 8-12 years experience in Association operations and/or restaurant industry including hands-on knowledge of member services and value creation. Demonstrates a track record of success in recruiting and retaining members/clients.
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred and/or relevant work experience.
3. Essential Skills/Knowledge:
- Considerable people management skills; capable of acting as leader, advisor, mentor, and coach
- Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus
- Strong strategic vision in areas of business, industry relations, and sponsorship, and the restaurant industry
- Well-respected, with proven management, judgment and communications, industry relations, and membership building expertise derived from work with successful organizations.
- Experience in implementing and furthering core initiatives and culture driven strategies.
- Understands legal regulations and procedures and the implications of non-compliance for the organization. Implements and educates on compliance issues within the functional area.
- Ability to create successful membership/sales campaigns and conduct surveys
- Energetic, forward thinking and creative
- Deep functional experience in all categories of position
- Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience
- Responsiveness to change and leads as a change agent
- Significant communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner
- Computer literate (Basic knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint applications)
- Strong organizational skills
- Collaborative problem-solving skills and able to create strategies to achieve defined goals
- Time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; a self initiator, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility
4. Essential Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to work as an integral part of the senior management team of the organization
- Must be able to maintain good rapport with all departments
- Must be able to make complex decisions for tough problems
- Must be able to cope within a fast-paced work environment; perseveres with tenacity
- Must be able to manage multiple projects; separating mission critical from the non-strategic; with minimal supervision
- Must be fearless in tackling issues and challenges as they arise; doesn’t avoid confrontation
- Must be able to understand the importance of the position for the success of the business
- Ability to accept change and be flexible; focusing on action and outcomes
- Must be able to act with honor, character, ethical bearing and integrity