Summary: The Vice President of Software Development for this diverse set of business units—and the array of users, customers and markets each serves—is responsible for delivering solutions that align with the digital strategy of the Cengage Learning Business Units. The Vice President will help the organization to determine delivery strategies and processes that simultaneously optimize the quality of solutions we deliver to market, and also the speed and timeliness of the deliveries to market. This position is a key stakeholder in the transformation of Cengage Learning in its migration to a high growth in market share, revenue and profit. Creativity, innovation and dedication are critical behaviors for the individual filling this position.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with Product Team Senior Leadership of each the four business units (Professional, Research, National Geographic Learning & K12) to improve our digital product position in those markets.
- Partner with the Technology Team Senior Leadership members to identify ways to improve the processes we use to bring those products to market.
- Provide leadership to the Software Development Directors and aid them in determining a practical balance between the desires of each product team and the realities of bringing new functionality to market in the diverse market we serve.
- Aid the Software Development Directors and their teams in determining the digital product roadmaps for the different market groups.
- Work with Architecture to integrate the product family product roadmaps with the overall technology roadmap
- Communicate with and address needs and concerns of Cengage business partners and stakeholders across functional groups, within and outside of the Technology organization
- Balance resources between Director’s market groups as driven by business needs.
- Provide leadership and cohesion for strategic projects lead by or requiring resources from the Technology team.
- Clear organizational roadblocks that inhibit the teams effectiveness
- Supervise and manage the Software Development team such that their effectiveness is optimized and maximized
- Minimum of 10 years of technology and/or product development experience
- 3+ years of experience in a strategic role, developing and implementing business or functional strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a field related to this job
- Previous people leadership/management experience
- Exhibits behaviors that are highly attentive to end user-centric product development.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate teams and develop team cohesiveness
- Proven track record of delivering successful business results through team leadership and teamwork
- Understanding of the structure of software systems and architectural interdependencies
- Experience in digital software definition and requirements generation.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Strong, creative business problem solving skills
- Understanding of emerging technical capabilities and how to use them to solve problems
- Position will require travel – approximately 15%
- 5+ years of programming experience
- Co-location with team Senior Executive
- Graduate degree in a related analytical and/or business field
Cengage Learning is an equal opportunity employer, committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse workforce. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Cengage Learning - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional and...