Officer position responsible for providing overall management and direction of the function that designs, develops and delivers quality software to enable the company to deliver its products and services. Directs the development and implementation of strategic and operational objectives for software development function, in accordance with the company's strategic plans. Function also may provide support for and maintenance on existing applications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Drives implementation of strategic and operational objectives with significant impact on the short-term success of software development function and moderate impact on the long-term success of the company.
2. Oversees creation of quality software to meet business needs. Includes design, coding, testing, deployment and project/program management.
3. Sets objectives, drives organizational design, tracks performance and facilitates communication for the IT development organization.
4. Leads, directs and has full management accountability for staff in area of responsibility with an emphasis on talent management and succession planning in accordance with corporate strategic direction.
5. Participates in execution of IT strategy and objectives. Drives initiatives and programs throughout the IT development organization.
6. Performs cross-functional assessments and leads process improvements in the software delivery process.
7. May manage vendor relationships for products and services for the IT function. Includes allocation of IT resources.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically SVP and above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Mastery of a discipline, professional field or formal body of knowledge, i.e., software and systems development and complete understanding of the critical issues in other related areas.
2. Advanced communication skills which are critical to building consensus across area of influence (external and/or internal relationships), team and/or matrix environment.
3. Strong leadership and management skills demonstrating integrity and professionalism.
4. Ability to drive results by identifying and resolving significant problems within scope of responsibility.
5. Senior level knowledge of the insurance industry, its products and services.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with Master's preferred in Computer Science or Information Systems or related discipline or equivalent.
2. Typically a minimum of 12 years of work experience in software development with seven years management experience.
3. Applicable certifications preferred.
CNA - 12 months ago