Our client is an early stage start-up that provides a distribution and monetization platform for business media targeting readers who are used to paying for premium print content. They provide a sustainable business model for publishers who struggle to maintain their revenue while moving from print to digital formats. Unlike current providers that force readers and publishers to centralize their products, our client provides a decentralized content protection and social distribution system. Its Rights-over-IP (ROIP) technology allows users to acquire, manage, consume and engage with partner content in any decentralized location across the web. This means access to published material within the company’s journal, the publisher’s website, in an iPad app, within their social networking systems, or within a company’s intranet.
The VP, Engineering oversees and contributes to all engineering activities, with a focus on front end work: Development, QA and Production operations. This position will start out as an individual contributor role and will later be responsible for building and leading an engineering team.
What you will be doing:
Who you are:
- Serve as key member of the executive team that sets the company’s strategic direction;
- Create innovative application development environments that attract dynamic developers;
- Serve as interface to product management;
- Assist in defining product requirements;
- Review and contribute to product architecture;
- Assure that the product is designed for specific needs, but with a wider application platform in mind;
- Define and apply the development methodology and processes;
- Select required technologies;
- Code parts of product.
Your background includes:
- Love to build and use amazing software products, especially for mobile and media products;
- Understand the end user and create simple, elegant solutions;
- Be a stickler about managing unit, system and regression tests;
- Thrive while working in a fast-paced, agile environment;
- Have strong opinions and makes them heard;
- Ensure that everything runs in time and that people are motivated;
- Be a mobile device junkie – and carry at least 1 tablet and 2 smart phones alongside your work laptop;
- Be a strong team player and someone comfortable working in a highly collaborative open environment.
The founding team comes from the worlds of publishing, IT and software. They are entrepreneurs who have invested in and led start-ups to success. The company is already signing up publishers for its beta launch in Q4 of 2012.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent;
- At least 5-7 years relevant experience as Head of Engineering at prior start-up(s);
- Proven track record of defining/building engaging software products;
- Solid agile development practitioner;
- UI / UX excellence advocate;
- Experience in using metrics to drive product features;
- Ability to focus on details without losing the big picture;
- Experience in the following or similar technologies: HTML5, Ruby on Rails, Java Script, Java (or any derivative of Java, such as Clojure), Restful APIs, OAuth;
- A big plus would include experience with the following or similar technologies: OpenSSL, Nginx, Unicorn, CouchDB, Memcached, node.js, Mozilla BrowserID.
If you are a mobile device junkie – and carry at least 1 tablet and 2 smart phones alongside your laptop, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monster - 2 years ago