VP Marketing Job Description
To lead and be accountable for delivering Marketing’s measurable contribution to Company’s short-term and long-term business and financial goals by:
- Leading the development and execution of a marketing plan integrated with the business plan.
- Facilitating the growth of brand strength and health.
- Developing marketing talent and discipline within the organization.
- Establish the necessary systems and methodologies for ongoing market intelligence, including:
- Market definition, size, segments, trends
- Customer/prospect segmentation and needs assessment
- Competitor information and news
- On an ongoing basis, report to Executive Team research information to provide insights into the customer and the economic and competitive environment.
Brand and Marketing Planning
- Create process to understand Company’s current and to define optimal brand positioning and reasons-to-believe.
- Plan and execute annual assessment of the brand (Brand Audit) to identify issues/growth opportunities.
- Obtain agreement from Executive Team on marketing contributions to business plan/ sales goals.
- Create and develop strategic marketing plan that contributes to the achievement of Company’s overall financial and strategic objectives.
- Work collaboratively with Product Development team and Sales leaders to ensure best plan is in place.
- Oversee creation and execution of tactical marketing calendar.
- Oversee management of overall customer/prospect database.
- Manage Company’s digital/web presence and Social Media.
- Measure progress against objectives and evaluate the results of specific and on-going marketing initiatives and tactics and adjusts the marketing plan as needed to ensure that the marketing goals are met.
Communication and Sharing
- Ensure input, participation in, and/or acceptance of the marketing plan from the Executive Team.
- On an ongoing basis, communicate marketing plans, results, and learnings to Executive Team and other key audiences.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to ensure effective focus on Company brand and points-of-differentiation.
People Training and Development
- Exhibit the leadership skills to be a team player as well as a team builder.
- Responsible for hiring, training, developing and retention of the best marketing talent for Company.
- Facilitate the growth of marketing staff by ongoing coaching and support in identifying their development opportunities and internal/external training resources and courses.
- Conduct succession planning for the department.
- Lead the needs-assessment for and selection of any outside marketing agencies or consultants.
- Ensure that any agency/partner resources are strategically positioned to grow the business.
- Lead the agency/partner in the development, execution, and on-going evaluation of all relevant aspects of the marketing strategy (e.g., creative, media, promotion, research etc.).
Managing Marketing Administration
- Organize and manage the Marketing Department G&A and the marketing investment budget.
- Ensure that all advertising and promotion materials follow the appropriate legal and partner approval protocols.
Required Experience and Competencies
- 7-10 years marketing experience.
- Minimum 5 years of people management experience.
Critical Competencies: Overall
- Values and respect for others
- Teamwork and collaboration; communication skills
- Strategic planning; problem solving
- Results-orientation; ability to prioritize and execute; willingness to roll up one’s sleeves
- Team leadership and development
Critical Competencies: Functional
- Market and competitive research
- Customer segmentation
- Brand and marketing planning
- Technical marketing skills – campaign design and execution, marketing communications and copy-writing, metrics and tracking
- Database management
The compensation package for this position is commensurate with experience and includes an attractive base salary, bonus, and benefits.
We are a small, innovative, progressive hair care product company with a specialty in all things curly. We are a team of go getters who...