Vice President, Product Management
The Vice President, Product Management will have accountability for leading and managing a broad portfolio of products and services for a defined market (Payer, Provider, Life Sciences and Government). He/she will have responsibility for both new and existing product and services definitions and drive development on time, on budget, and with high quality and value. The VP will build a direct and matrix team that will proactively promote and monitor solution performance in the marketplace, constantly working to increase revenue and customer satisfaction. He/she will ensure that OptumInsight has a diverse portfolio of best-in-class offerings through identification of the product strategy and market requirements by coordinating market research, competitive analysis and capturing requirements from customers and prospects. The ideal candidate will be experienced in both upstream product and service definition and downstream product development and execution, with experience in the health care industry strongly preferred. He/she will have strong leadership and change management skills; create passion, excitement and results in others; and provide strategic and tactical direction to evolve and grow a market leading portfolio of healthcare solutions. This individual will have strong executive presence and be able to clearly discuss and communicate product value and benefits to customers, prospects, and internal and external partners.
- Translate business vision and strategy into operational tactics and build the organizational support and infrastructure needed to achieve them.
- Monitor the product life cycle from inception through operation and maintenance; ensure consistency with the strategic vision and market/customer requirements.
- Provide senior level guidance and support in the development and management of customer relationships and contracts.
- Serve as key matrix partner to designated Market President and leadership team. Ensure successful management and leveraging of the matrix environment to meet objectives.
- Identify best-of-breed companies as potential partners and/or vendors to elevate OptumInsight's processes, products and service offerings. Continue to build OptumInsight's brand externally.
- Ensure adequate staffing plans are in place to support pipeline and client commitments. Manage a group of product management professionals effectively to achieve corporate goals.
- Develop strong intra-company relationships by proactively meeting with key UHG segment operations, finance and business leaders to keep abreast of changes/trends as well as to shape decisions at the UHG level.
- Participate in UHG segment teams.
- Establish business metrics required to meet customer requirements and achieve financial/growth targets and key goals.
- Set the standard for collegial and honorable interactions internally and externally, and model same for teams.
- Monitor and review team outputs for multiple teams and recommend changes to resource utilization to improve efficiency.
- Recommend methodologies for and drive conflict resolution and issues between multiple teams or team members.
- Ensure that quality and performance standards are established and measured with improvement goals developed.
- Leading edge thinking and risk taking is required. This individual shall possess the leadership skills to influence others in a matrix organization and infuse them with a passion for the proposed products and services.
- Demonstrated experience leading inspirationally with a commitment to common goals and vision.
- Anticipate and lead change through the organization, equipping staff to adapt quickly.
- Strong financial acuity; demonstrated ability to manipulate financial levers to accomplish goals.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate up, down and with peers to find common ground, and obtain buy-in for strategies and tactics.
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and group presentation skills. Comfortable presenting at senior executive levels, both externally and internally.
- Ability to effectively maintain/build relationship across business groups.
- Structured business disciplines to facilitate quick and fact-based decisions while ensuring accountability for execution.
- Ability to maximize customer linkages and aligns resources with strategic priorities.
- Masterâ€™s degree in business, marketing, or a related field is strongly preferred.
- Previously demonstrated exceptional performance in a product management role with a minimum of 10 years experience. Healthcare analytics experience a plus.
- Proven management experience leading professional teams, for greater than 5 years.
- Prior P&L responsibility
- Substantial experience in the management of complex operational functions in a matrix environment.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and motivate top talent.
- Proven track record in effectively leading and managing teams to produce on-time, high-quality deliverables with a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated experience working with broad cross-functional teams with ability to sell ideas and plans to internal constituencies, executives, customers, commercial team, analysts, and partners.
Optum is part of the family of companies that make UnitedHealth Group one of the leaders across most major segments of the US health care system.
Optum is one of the largest and fastest growing health information companies. We specialize in improving the performance of the health system by providing analytics, technology and consulting services that enable better decisions and results. We integrate workflow solutions that deliver data in real-time, and create actionable insights - processing health information that relates directly to and affects one in four patients in the U.S, one in every three Medicaid dollars and one in every five emergency room visits. And we do it all with every action focused on our shared values of Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation & Performance.
What can YOU do with the right information? At Optum, the possibilities and the impact are limitless. No matter what your role is at OptumInsight, you'll be empowered to ask more questions, develop better solutions and help make the health care system greater than ever. It's always fresh. It's always exciting. And it's never been more important.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment. In addition, employees in certain positions are subject to random drug testing.
When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours.
We have modest goals: Improve the lives of...