VP and General Counsel
Auxogyn, Inc. is a privately held company is revolutionizing the field of reproductive medicine by translating scientific discoveries in early embryo development into effective clinical tools. The Company's flagship product, the Eeva™ Test, delivers consistent, objective and quantitative information regarding embryo viability that clinicians and their infertility patients can use to make important treatment decisions. Eeva received CE mark in July 2012 and is currently available for use in the European Union. Eeva is not yet cleared in the US and is limited to investigational use only. Recently the Company and Merck Serono announced a strategic partnership to further advance the development and commercialization of the Eeva Test in the European Union, Canada, Australia and the US. The Company closed its first round of financing in May 2010 and is funded by the leading life science venture firms: Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, TPG Biotechnology, Merck Serono Ventures and SRone.
Purpose of the Job
The General Counsel will report to the CEO and will lead the corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives, including developing and executing the company’s global intellectual property strategy, participating in fund-raising initiatives (including initial and follow-on public offerings), corporate development efforts, and general legal matters for the company. The General Counsel will provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions and negotiating critical contracts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Professional Experience
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures.
- Develop, lead and execute a strategy in order to maximize the value of the company’s intellectual property
- Judge the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, work with the appropriate executives to define strategies and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Structure and manage the company’s internal legal function and staff and manage the legal budget
- Select, manage, and evaluate outside counsel.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financings.
We offer a competitive compensation package including health insurance, stock options and a challenging work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer.
- Required: Law degree from a nationally recognized law school and an active bar license.
- Ten years’ experience as a practicing lawyer, preferably initially with a prominent national law firm before moving to an in-house position;
- Broad understanding of and experience in intellectual property law including patent law, licensing of IP rights, and IP due diligence. Experience in directing strategy and managing complex IP litigation cases is also a must;
- Exposure to and/or familiarity with the following areas of law: contracts, securities, antitrust, computer law, FDA regulatory matters, human resources, privacy and other areas of law typically associated with in-house legal counsel;
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors is required;
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation is required as well as experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources;
- Familiarity and understanding of Sarbanes-Oxley and legislation and related FASB revenue recognition guidelines will be critical
- Experience as in-house legal counsel (preferably general counsel) in a medical technology company is strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Auxogyn, Inc. - 20 months ago